Another disbudding and dis-budding iron question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doublebowgoats, May 3, 2011.

1. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

Can you disbud a baby that doesn't have little nubs yet or do you have to wait until they have the little nubs?

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: Another disbudding Question

I use a Rhinehart 50, I wait for nubs. Vicki

3. doublebowgoats

Ok. Thanks.

4. doublebowgoats

Oh, another question...Why exactly are the irons made in a circle instead of with a tip that is solid?

5. Horsehair Braider

Horsehair Braider New Member

Because the hornbud itself is round, and you are trying to kill off the area where it grows from.

6. NubianSoaps.com

Actually Michelle, with a second iron it makes all sorts of scents to burn your copper ring, an then using and iron that is solid in the middle, burn down the middle of the circle even with the outside copper ring. The biggy and why most get scurs is that their outside diameter of their copper ring is not big enough, because of the tips that come on the disbudding irons.

7. doublebowgoats

The reason I am asking is because I modified my iron with a copper cap that fits down inside the circle. This makes it burn an entire circle not a ring. Haven't had a chance to see how it works yet. I need more babies!

8. That will certainly transfer more heat to the head and cool down the iron rapidly. I would be concerned about the massive heat transfer that will take place and its effect upon the kid.

9. NubianSoaps.com

The problem with using a soild tip to start with is that the hornbud makes the area cone shaped. Right now with the less diameter of most tips, you already get that rocking motion when trying to seat around the hornbud, this doesn't kill all the horns root all the way around, and makes scurs grow. You can make the area flatter by taking you hoof nippers and cutting the middle of the cone off flat. You want the copper ring around the hornbud to be deep, then go back and burn the middle of the circle, either by laying the burner on it's side, or like what we are doing, using another iron that has a soild tip on it, that fits inside the circle we made with iron number 1.

So in my mind, you soild circle will not burn deep enough around the edge like it needs to unless you are going to do kids a day old. Vicki

10. Red Mare

Red Mare New Member

I can't be thankful enough for all these disbudding tips. I need to buy my first set of irons and kid box and will be looking
    for the best options for my herd shortly.
    Thank you for sharing all this great info. I am so worried about hurting my kids.

11. Laverne

Laverne New Member

I have the Lenk brand disbudder and it has a 7/8" tip.

12. lonestrchic23

lonestrchic23 New Member

Vicki, how are you burning the inside of the circle? Is there an iron with a solid tip or did you make something?

I have a Rhineheart X30 & it worked very well on my 5 day old kids.... I burned 6 second rings, rolled over the centers and then burned the rings again. Pretty heads, no scurs and since I had never done it before and only had online videos for instructions, I was pretty pleased with myself :)

But, my older buck (13 weeks) that I bought already disbudded had scurs, ended uo taking him to the vet who used a 1" tip. One side needs to be done again, but my X30 isn't big enough.....Need options for having a bigger tip, and would love to have a solid one that could burn inside the rings!