Another DHIR question...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I am milking one of the does I got in November once a day. She just got bred (pretty sure, but not confirmed yet) so isn't due until late May. I'm going on test and have does starting to kid next month, what will that mean for her? Will it mess up her test? I was just going to milk her 1x a day till 60 day out from due, she's been milking since March. She was on test until shortly before I got her and did about 2700lbs in 240 days, she was projected to do almost 3700lbs. Now probably a pipe dream :blush2 but I was really hoping that with alfalfa pellets added to her diet I might see some big numbers. She is giving a half gallon a day with no signs of dropping at all, she has been milking 10 months so if it was for the best I could dry her up. Obviously I am new and clueless as to how this whole test thing works :sigh. I keep reading through the guidebook and paperwork but still :help2

2. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Were you on test this year? or was it the place you got her from? If she was tested for enough tests at the old home on test, or at your home, then she earns her star. If you weren't on test, and she wasn't at the old home long enough, then this lactation won't count (I think!). You will still test her until you dry her up in a couple of months, but I don't think the tests would count because of the gap in testing...interesting scenario :D When in doubt, I always email Lisa Shepard.

I started test this year with a doe already in milk for more than 90 days- her lactation isn't official. Which is awful- as she is at over 3000#. Maybe this year :)

3. Could you please explain about DHIR. I have never heard of it.

Thanks

4. CGFarm

CGFarm New Member

You will have to give them the date she freshened last time. It will show the months missed for her lacations during this test period. Anthing over 305 days is shown as extended. Does on test have to be milked 2x a day, as far as to my knowledge. Then once she freshens again her time frame will start again.

Does this help?

5. Halo-M Nubians

Okay, Yeah. I didn't explain myself very well. She WAS on test at her previous home-earned her star in both lbs and fat. I will be going on test for the first time when my does start to freshen. I really don't want to take her to 2 milkings a day again as she has such a will to milk and I would then probably have a hard time drying her off. Can I milk her up until my first test and then stop, so she is dry? thats only about 4 weeks earlier than her 60 days-not to bad.

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

7. for a test to be offical there has to be no gaps in the testing MORE than 45 days. If you go past day 45 then...the records are just completed when the animal was sold. Now, if below 45 days then you need to get her DHI numbers then you can just get her tranfered into your herd.

Ken in MI

8. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

It's my understanding that with the change of hands and the fact that she is only milking once daily that she will not need to be added to your testing list until she freshens again.

I thought I remembered there being a period of time (45 days comes to mind, but I could be wrong on the number) that a doe has to be back on test in your herd (after changing hands) to continue her milk records for the current lactation.

9. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

Guess I was right.....we both posted about the same time......it's been a little bit of time since I've had to think about all this and it's especially hard since I've been trying to purposely forget a lot of it.

10. Halo-M Nubians

Okay, thanks. I still didn't do a very good job getting my concerns across-lol!
    I don't care about her current lactation. As far as I'm concerned that is over and done with-I've had her over 45 days anyway. My concern is whether, if she were milking, she would have to be tested next month. Seemed to remember reading that all animals in milk, on your place must test. My concern is with messing up her next lactation, on paper since I am hoping for some nice number.
    Okay, clear as mud-Sorry! :))

11. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

If your doe is due in May, then she won't be milking much longer. When she was sold to you as far as ADGA and DHI are concerned this lactation is completed. I would simply add her to your testing when she freshens again. Or you could put her "on test" with your other does and indicate her "dry" until she kids again.

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Not necessarily, it depends on the individual DHIA/DCRP. I test through Minnesota DHIA and there is no test interval requirement. (My testing plan is DHIR-20) However, ADGA now has a test day interval requirement of 120 days for the record to be official.

It is really going to depend on who you test through. Many DHIA's have different requirements.

To transfer her into your DHIA herd, get the herd code of her previous owner. This will transfer all of her previous records. DHIA numbers are no longer in use so all you are going to need is her registration number (and that of her sire & dam if applicable) and her previous herd code.

Sara

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yes, Sara is right. There are several different rules for each DHIA association. You should also get the cow page from the previous owner. She will get a cow page (301-I think) on that doe after doe's test where owner marked her as left herd-sold.
    Kaye

14. Halo-M Nubians

Some days the BLONDE just hinders me!-lol! Your attempt at educating me is appreciated! I will be getting trained soon so maybe things will be clearer then and I will ask a lot of questions.
    I did get her sheet when I bought her-I also noted that on th ADGA site her milk records are there to view now so... completed. Got her SG letter in the mail too.
    I just did not want to HAVE to test her so late in her lactation, after being on 1x a day schedule if it will somehow reflect badly on her next lactation. But if everything restarts at freshening-Duh! Should have figured that out-then it is fine.

15. Dang Sara and Kaye,

I want to be on your program. I have never seen a DHIA that went over 45 days with test periods. That would cut WAY back on the money spent on DHIA.

ken in MI

16. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

In our area, you MUST test every animal in milk on your proprty- even a doe in milk that is in for breeding!
    The once a day thing is no big ddeal- you just tell them the doe is being milked once a day and they notate accordingly. I move all my does to once a day a month before they dry up, and the doe I mentioned before has been on once a day for the last 3 months- still giving 4 lbs a day.