Another broken leg?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kalne, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I can't believe we're dealing with another one. Our buck broke his leg a few months ago. Based on the advice here we quarantined him and he seems to have healed fine. Took about 2 months.

Now one of our does seems like she may have a broken leg too. What are the chances of that? *sigh*

Anyway, last night she was limping. No sign of injury, no swelling. This morning she's not putting weight on it. Still no swelling. Her leg does not appear misshapen but from below the knee it does not go straight down, it goes to the side some. No idea how she injured it.

She's an Alpine/Nubian mix, 4 or 5 years old and recently bred. Still being milked but I don't want her put on the milk stand for fear she might cause further damage. I'm willing to call the vet if need be. I'm not confident in his abilities with goats and he's very expensive. But I don't know where else we could go.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Not hot to the touch or anything? what abt when you put pressure on it?
    I have had goats hurt themselves and limp for a day or two but no broken bones so don't know what to say to you. Hopefully someone with knowledge will answer.

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

An xray should be something even a non-goat vet could do. It might be worth it. At least you would know what you were dealing with, instead of just guessing. Try a horse vet. Sometimes they can be very helpful.
    Hope she's better soon.
    Anita

4. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

When I sprained my ankle, everyone thought it was a break until the x-ray. The reason? I iced it immediately and took Advil so there was no swelling. I was told that no swelling is a sign of a broken bone rather than soft tissue damage. Since knees don't bend that way, I would think that an x-ray would be a good idea... I'd at least call the vet and see what he thinks by the sound of it. He may have a good answer and it may be no big deal and you can rest at ease (this is common for me, since I can be a bit of a worry wart! :) ) Then again, he may say he thinks you should bring her in, and you can always decide from there. Wish I was more knowlegable and could give a better answer than that, but hopefully someone has had this experience and can chime in and help!

5. FRW

FRW New Member

I agree I would find a large animal vet sometimes there are other things they can do to keep your cost down and usually a livestock vet understands about it being a business. You have to watch your expenses. Keep her confined, if you have pain meds or can get them from the vet she may need something until you can get her checked out.I hope all turns out well. Look around for anything she could have hurt it on and remove it if you can.

6. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

as long as the pain meds don't cause her to feel TOO good and do something she shouldn't be doing! (like my dog!!!)

7. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

How painful is she? Can you feel the leg at all?

I had a similar situation a couple weeks ago...walked in and one of my Saanens was non weight bearing on a front leg, huge swelling by her shoulder. Turned out to be a nasty bruise after going to the vet...I had suspicions that it was broken but it was healed up in two weeks.

Do you have any ideas how this could be happening? With my case I am almost positive it was another aggressive doe that slammed her into something sharp.

8. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Well, she has greatly improved without any intervention on our part so I guess it wasn't broken after all. :)