Another bad feet problem

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by crocee, Aug 7, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

OK I have a little doe with really bad feet. The woman who had her before me never did anything besides feed the little girl. Shes a 5 month old Saanen whom I have had for 3 weeks. Her toes are very long and the sole of one of her toes actually turn in between them holding them splayed. How far can I trim this overgrown area without hurting her? I know to stop when I reach pink but what do I do about this rolled toe?. Her toes are a 3" pointed mess that are rolled toward the inside on one toe. I was trying to get a picture but she wasn't having any more of being messed with. I will try again tomorrow. At least she likes the milk stand so that makes things a little easier. Now I just have to make the head gate tighter so she can't get her head out of it.

I can see the coronary band so I know which way will be level. She also does not appear to be cow hocked at this point.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Start trimming those feet NOW! The Saanens in Ark. are not known for good feet to start with and if you let that toe curl up, you're going to be fighting it for a long time. Just ask me how I know this!

I let mine go for a couple of months, and I ended up using a grinder to get them flattened back out. And I did it once a week for 3 weeks.
    Kaye

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you have access to a belt sander, or rent one, but on a medium grit. Have someone hold it upside down and place her foot level to the coronary band on the turning surface. You will quickly see which way to do it because it's like trying to walk backwards on a treadmill if it's facing the wrong way. This will sand her feet down even, when you hit pink stop. The sole will be incredibly flat, now just trim around with your foot trimmers anything outside the line of this flat sole. I handle any problem feet like this. Vicki

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I have a belt sander but its bolted to a work bench and is too heavy to move around for this. I also have an orbital sander, will this work? If worse comes to worse I suppose I could use the dremel with a sander attachment, its a variable speed unit so I could slow it down. I will be taking pictures this morning for before and after for my records and will post them for you to see.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK your link does not work just click on the img url code it copies it then paste it here

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Picture 382.
    That is not bad at all! A simple pair of hoof nippers would get that girl standing back level in no time! It's bad when the whole claw is rolling up and it's like trying to cut through a brick.
    Kaye

8. NubianSoaps.com

Yep she just needs her feet trimmed and some groceries. Her whole hoof is just to long.

Worse than her feet....

Look closely at the second photo. See how her long bone under her hock (hocks are her back elbows) bows just like this ) instead of coming out of the hock straight? She is lacking calcium in her diet. If you already feed alfalfa than there is a major mineral not being absorbed that is also blocking calcium, like copper. Too much iron etc.

Do not breed her until she shows more strength of this rear leg. When bred they grow kids, udder and colostrum then milk, if she is not absorbing calcium dietarily she will then bow the leg worse, permanatly. Vicki

9. crocee

crocee New Member

Vicki,
    What mineral/vitamin is responsible for calcium absorption so I can check her feed/mineral and possibly get an additive to help. We have well water but it is treated and supplied by our rural water company. I would think it would be taken out by their process. Her mineral contains 1750 min and 1800 max copper. 9% min, 11% max calcium. She doesn't eat a whole lot of it but she does eat some daily. She does get alfalfa pellets daily, grass hay, and all the browse she wants.
    Andi

10. NubianSoaps.com

What copper is in the mix. I would have to bolus if I only fed copper sulfate with my mineral.

There are several vitamins and minerals that need each other to be absorbed...selenium and vitamin E...copper and calcium. Vicki

11. crocee

crocee New Member

It contains copper sulfate and copper chloride

12. crocee

crocee New Member

I gave her A & D and 2 1000 IU E caps squeezed into her mouth. Hopefully this will help. The vet will not give Bose unless I bring her in, then its $57 plus the cost of the shot. I also gave her a couple tums for the calcium content.