Annual Testing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I have an appointment to take my girls to the vet in two weeks for their annual health testing. I plan to test for CAE of course, but am wondering what other members on here also test for annually? I live in Central Va, and it's going to be a big deal to take a vacation day, load up the goats, and drive about 70 miles, so I want to be sure I don't forget anything. This is an experienced goat vet, and I'm sure she knows what to test for, but I also know that some of you on here may suggest other things.
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I do CAE, CL, Jones, Brucellosis and TB. However you may want to nix the TB, as the vet will need to see the goat in 3 days to 'read' the test (goat's tail) to see if it reacted. I also get fecals to check for both worms and coccidia.

Some of the others may have additional suggestions, but this is what we do here. Each goat costs about $60 for the battery of above tests. LOTS of money to blow, but cheap for peace of mind, and good name for your herd!

Kelly :)

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

CL is up to you but if you haven't seen abscess I would leave it for new goats brought in.

Johnnes is a waste of money unless you have symptoms and are testing older goats. Then you have to run AGID blood and fecal tests, even then the only accurate test is at necropsy.

TB and this type of test is best for when you need it for travel or selling in a TB state.

I test yearly for staph and also after abortions or new stock coming in for abortive disease. Vicki

4. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

How do you test for staph Vicki?

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I send in milk on everyone to LSU. I do it a few here and a few there and don't ask for sensitivites. Vicki

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Pam when your does are tested thru out the year or should say your milk is tested doesn't that tell you abt the staph ?? like yes you have it , no you don't

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

It should & they do test for pathogenic bacteria too. I do get somatic cell on my DHI report & I do CMT routinely......just thought maybe Vicki was doing some kind of blood test along with the CAE testing, so that's why I asked.