Anemic Doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by DairyLove, Oct 8, 2015.

1. DairyLove

DairyLove New Member

We delayed acting on the earlier signs of her being less interested in her feed and reduced milk production. Eventually noticed a "bottle head" look, with great concern, along with the light color around her eyes and of her mouth tissues. Then the scours set in. She was noticeably weaker (no surprise there).

We have treated her with a dewormer (just gave the 2nd/final dose). We stopped the scours, with electrolytes + slippery elm bark, plus a probiotic drench. She retained an appetite for alfalfa plus grasses and leaves, so we have encouraged that. She appears to be getting stronger. But her oral tissues are still a very light color, and her head or jaw still appear somewhat misshapen. I've read that iron supplements may be necessary to restore red blood cells, but also that too much iron causes different concerns.

Should we just let her continue to browse and hope that she continues to regain her strength, or is there something more that you might recommend?

2. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

You might look in the Health and Wellness section.

3. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

You might give her a drench of "Red Cell." It's a horse product and contains many vitamins and minerals. I use it in kids, especially ones with pale eyelids.

4. Goat Town

Goat Town Member

There is an old thread in this forum which talks about an unthrifty doe. One poster mentions using a product called "Clovite." I remember my horse and dog breeder friends using it. If you look at vet drug fact sheets it is labeled for goats and dairy cows. I'm thinking of adding it to my kids' feeding program next year. Here's a link to that old thread: https://www.dairygoatinfo.com/f19/unthrifty-doe-17528/#post191864

5. DairyLove

DairyLove New Member

Thank you! I will definitely check those out.

6. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

What did you worm her with? I really like replamin. Jeffers carries it.

7. Goatwrangler

Goatwrangler New Member

I had a similar issue with one of our goats. After deworming them with a subq shot of Ivermectin, she got better and started moving and eating. She still had pale eyelids and I administered an Iron 100 shot under the skin. She seems to be doing fine but still needs to be monitored just in case she continues to worsen.