And yet another Lute questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Oct 9, 2008.

  1. Anita Martin

    Anita Martin Senior Member

    2,792
    0
    36
    My does were all paddocked away from my buck. We were building a barn. I was REALLY hoping the barn, or at least one stall would get finished before our buck went into rut. It didn't. I began finding him in the doe paddock every couple of days. I tried a new pasture...no luck with keeping him in that. Anyway, I know he bred two older does as I saw them in heat...that was fine. I got the dates. However, one 07 doe and four 08 does were also in the paddock and were not at all interested in him that I saw. Now, however, none have come into heat that I can tell. Our buck now has his own 10X10 stall that opens into a paddock with 54inch cattle panels. He's never got out, and the girls are right across the fence. I would think I would be able to tell if any were in heat. I have never seen any of them show him any attention at all. So, I am beginning to think he may have bred them all :( My question is this. The dates of possible breedings were the last week of august, to about sept 5. Is it too soon to do a pregnancy test on these girls? Three of the young does were not at breeding weights. I did not think he bred them because none of them wanted anything to do with him. Or could it be that these girls have not yet come into heat? I was DETERMINED not to let this happen this year. The main reason I did not want them bred yet was because they were not at breeding weights...three were about 70-75 pounds. If they are pregnant, and I lute them now, and they were indeed already pregnant, will there be any advantage in this for my girls? I did want to breed them this year, just not until Nov. Also, this was the father to three of them, and I did not want to line breed on all three, just one of them. :help
    Anita
    Thanks :sigh
    Anita
     
  2. coso

    coso Guest

    If it was me and you were worried about these little girls, they are too small and you didn't want that buck breeding them in the first place. I would just lute them all now for my peace of mind. Cheaper then sending in blood to Biotracking and if they were bred you would probably lute them anyway. Wouldn't you?
     

  3. Anita Martin

    Anita Martin Senior Member

    2,792
    0
    36
    Yes, I would Lute if pregnant for two of them. Two I had planned on breeding to this buck. One was at weight, one was not. I guess I'm wondering if the light one has been pregnant anyway all this time, will luting her, and then rebreeding her in a few weeks be of any benefit to her? Also, what can I expect when i lute? Will they have labor cramps, bloody discharge, nothing at all?
    Thanks,
    Anita
     
  4. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    you probably won't see anything at all I would lute any not up to snuff /weight /heath etc. and wait until they are up to weight. making sure there are no worms/cocci by fecals.
     
  5. Anita Martin

    Anita Martin Senior Member

    2,792
    0
    36
    Yes, the one did have some cocci and worms and we've treated and I wanted to test again before breeding. My vet said I can come get some lute tomorrow, so I will.
    Thanks.
    Anita