Anchoring scents with citrus peel

Discussion in 'Soap Making' started by KUrby, Nov 8, 2007.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I think there are a lot of contributing factors in how well natural fixatives work in soapmaking, but for what it's worth here my notes on the ones I know of...

Natural fixatives

Citrus Peel
    Binding agent pectin
    Creates a gel type bond used to reduce the evaporation rate, increase perceived odor strength, and improve stability when added to more volatile components.

Benzoin
    Binding agent –resin
    Plant resins form a glue type bond, gums formed by solidifying plant juices, are used as a fixative to bind together other rapidly diffusing essential oils. Resin keeps more of the top floral and citrus notes intact.

Orris
    Binding agent – starch
    Starch contains a plant derived polymer works as a fixative by creating a Covalent bond, a chemical effect of forming a bond with the polymer which stabilizes the fragrance.

2. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

the last time i made my orange eo I just used the orange peel, rooibus tea (out of the bag), and the eo ... this was last years fall soap and i have a couple still left in my pile (the rooibus is way rough right out of the bag, so decided to keep for myself) and it still smells orangy, not like it did when first soaped but i think that must be a really good keep for a citrus.

3. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

I use orange peel and grapefruit peel- and I don't know why it works, but it does, it is holding great in my orange oatmeal, I used freeze dried zest for that one, not powder :lol I am going to try using litsea cubeba, though. I can't stand patchouli, and I can smell it in anything...