Ammonium chloride in water

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Jul 14, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

Can I add ammonium chloride to my buck's water? if so at what rate?
    Will they still drink it?

those boys don't eat much mineral-- right now they are only on browse with occasional supplement with orchard grass or timothy hay -- I'd rather not feed meat goat pellets right now because they are with the cow and she will hog any grain.
    they look great but DON't want any UC problems.

thanks!

Susie

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

How could you possibly dose water so they drink 1 teaspoon of the AC each day?

I wouldn't worry about using AC when they are browsing and eating grass hays. I would just use AC if you are going to add grain or something like oat hay to the diet. Vicki

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

nope don't use any unless you have a problem then drench or are feeding grain.
    I have never used it in 10 years and have never had a problem. It is one of those things people should have on hand and be prepared and aware but maybe never have to use.

4. susie

susie New Member

Okay-- very good then!
    If I add grain then I will add the AC-- do I need to add it if I give alfalfa pellets or hay?

thanks

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

No because then you are adding calcium and not phosphrous that makes stones. vicki

6. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Susie....great article on this in 101

https://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,13.0.html

""""An imbalanced diet in this situation is most commonly one that contains either too much grain, or no grain at all. Both approaches are equally harmful if you feed alfalfa for forage (roughage). In that case, to prevent urolithiasis it's important to correct this imbalance by feeding some, but only a very small amount, of grain.* OTOH, if you feed only grass hay, to avoid urolithiasis NO grain can be fed at all. If you are concerned about the lack of nutritional intake when feeding grass hay, my recommendation is that you provide just a small daily ration of Calf Manna to provide that additional nutrition... Check it out on the Manna Pro site, http://www.mannapro.com/calf_manna_tech.htm. The label info states that it provides 25% protein, Calcium: ~0.9%, Phosphorus 0.6% (1.5:1 ratio of Calcium to phosphorus, ideal for a 'non-working' animal such as a wether), plus some important additional nutrients.

If feeding alfalfa, the correct balance of at least 2 parts calcium (in alfalfa) to every 1 part phosphorus (in grain)* is reached by providing a daily ration of free-choice alfalfa or an alfalfa/grass combo, along with a maximum of 2 cups of grain per day. If feeding straight grass, it's essential to feed NO grain at all! Timothy**, if available, is an ideally balanced feed for goats all by itself.*** Routinely provide all goats, at all times, with fresh water, and make supplemental free-choice loose trace-mineral salt available as well. """""