Amazing Disappearing Udder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Jan 12, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

:biggrin

First year back into goats, and only had one pasture setup, so I ran my buckling with the herd all year. I have two obviously bred reg Nubian does, a 4 yr old multipara and a 2 YO FF; and an unregistered alpine and lamancha, both FF. The alpine looks bred and the LM isnt showing much but I'm pretty sure that she took also. 3 2007 weathers.

The Nubians are the start of my future herd, the others were "salvage" doelings that would have gone through auction and hubby caved in and bought them cheap. Keeping them for milk this year and we'll see after that. All look healthy, just tested CAE neg, are dewormed, and in fairly good shape to my novice eyes. (I had 2 LM but one was CAE pos and I rehomed her, and a couple of other little doelings we ended up with.)

Anywho, the Nubian FF has had the start of a very nice looking little udder for about 2 weeks-the only one bagging up so far. (Since I never saw her bred, she could be due anytime. I did see goopy bottoms in Sept, but I'd be real surprised if they went until March) Knowing they can bag up as long as a month before freshening, Ive been keeping an eye on them, and just started seperating out the 2 Nubs into a smaller area. Just finished feeding this am, and noticed the 2 yo's udder seems to have decreased in size since yesterday! Before it has extended just past her back legs, now its significantly smaller. Still even, and nice and high, and no sign of drainage or other problems. She's otherwise acting her usual skittish self, eating peeing and pooping fine. No vaginal drainage, edema or other signs of impending labor. But, she does seem to have dropped a bit, seems like shes carrying lower than she was last week.

I'm curious, is this normal, or common? Do they have hormone swings that cause the size of the developing udder to fluctuate before freshening? Or is this an indication of something Ive missed and should be looking for? Thanks!

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UMM some one might just be trying to nurse off her. or because of the drop may just appear that way. Don't really have a clue

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It is mostly tissue development at this stage and not milk or even fluid you can express more than a few drops of. But no I havn't had this happen. Glad your does you wanted to keep turned out to be negative though! Excellent news! Vicki

4. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thnaks Sondra and Vicki! I dont think anyone is nursing off her, and its probably just coincidental, but yesterday morning we split the two Nubians off the rest of my little herd since they seemed the most likely to kid soon,and have them in a smaller pen. 24 hrs later I noticed this. I relaly do wonder if its hormone thing.

Yea, two of the three were negative. The one who was pos is asymtomatic, so she went (gratis, with full explanation of her status) to a friend nearby who took her with the aim of raising meat goats off her and if she throws a doe she likes, may raise that CAE prevention. Shes a love bug and since the rest of the does she has are very standoffish, shes enjoying her first bottle raised doe. The other 4 does she has are boar and boar mixes, so it should help keep her in milk for this year. She's calling them her practice goats while she decides just what she wants to do -go meat, milk or a mixed herd. It was nice to find a home for her, I'd have hated to put her in the freezer without symptoms, but sure didnt want to keep her here with everyone else testing negative. Worked out to be a win-win situation for everyone, espeically the doe, since she has lots of good care and attention.