Alternative udder infusions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Mar 3, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

My vet does not carry gentamicin and will not prescribe it and he will only sell me Pirsue by the dozen. What would be the next, best, over-the-counter alternative?

I only have one doe that I'd like to treat (when I dry her up). She does not have mastitis (milk tested with LSU) but when she freshened last spring she had a lopsided, lumpy, fleshy udder. I have Lysigin and Covexin 8 to use on her closer to her kidding date (in June).

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Spectramast DC is a good broad spectrum antibiotic.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I got a box of Pirsue and a box of Dryclox from http://animart.com/home.php check out their prices.. My vet doesn't carry it, so I had him write a script for it.. I have it on hand JIC!

4. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thanks for the replies. I can get a box of Pirsue (12 count) from my vet but I don't need 12. I have only 5 does and only plan to keep 3 of them. In three years I have never used even one. Twelve-some will likely go to waste as they expire.

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Today and Tomorrow are pretty good ones as well, I use that quite a bit. TSC carries it or you can order from a catalog. I believe Hoegger Supply sells it by the tube but that's the only one I know of that does. The expiration is usually a couple years...if you are wanting to dry-treat you may be able to use a box or almost a box.

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Coop the box. Put it up for coop in the 4sale section. Most like to dry cow with Pirsue for does who have had problems during the year, it's what I do here...I do keep the rest of my 12 in case I have a problem during the year. Also in the fridge I disregard the expiration date by a few years.

And making your own infusions with sterile water and antibiotic is simple, what gets me is when your vet shuts the door on a drug you want, why they don't say...hey here is an alternative try this instead.

What is the active ingredeint in the infusion you want...any comparible injectable antibiotics close to it? Vicki

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey I will share a box of pirsue with you. Vicki it is gentamycin the vet won't give her.
    Will the pig stuff you can get OC work for infusions??

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Because she freshened (and while she was dry last year) with an lopsided udder that had an uneven texture, I want to treat her when I dry her off as Vicki has suggested...Pirsue and gentamicin. So, yes, it's the gent that I can't get. I can get the Pirsue for $48 for the 12 from him. I'll share! And I don't feel confident enough to make my own infusion. Nope.

9. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Why not make the infusion with soybean oil, like the companies do? :lol Though I think I would try sunflower oil instead...It should be relatively easy, use a new syringe, oil, and antibiotic, along with infusion canulas, which I have most of a package of 100 left from cleaning damaged tissue out of a badly damaged teat.

Vicki- has anyone ever worked out the dose of antibiotics you would need to mimic a prepackaged infusion?

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I know it's 2cc of gentamycin, 100mg per each side, the rest I would have to kill you if I told you :) No not really :) Vicki

11. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Susie - when I used Pirsue last year, my vet charged me 72.00 for the box -If I hadn't taken the whole box, it would have been 7.00 per tube!!! I had a couple major bouts with one doe and since the vet told me to infuse 2xday for 5 days -well, you can do the math!! The year before, he charged me 4.00 per tube. But, I haven't had any success with the 'Today' - Pirsue works.
    If anyone else buys Pirsue for 4.00 a tube and doesn't want the whole box, please post because I'll take it. Hoping I don't have any mastitis this year but I use it for dry-off also.

Ginger

12. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:lol Don't go there. The "oils" are sterile that are used in infusions. Already asked that question...trying to save some money. ;)

Oh, man...you're vet ripped you! Mine is $42/12 tubes.

:rofl
    Kaye

13. Aja-Sammati

Aja-Sammati Active Member

Than why does every tube say "Not prepared sterile" or some such nonsense?

14. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Don't have a clue why the box says that....I just know I was told don't do it. When it's told to me in "that tone" by the person that told me...I DON'T do it. :nooo
    Kaye

15. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

You are so right Kaye. No way would I put something like a non-sterile oil in the udder! I just don't see the point of taking that kind of risk when you can use sterile water with excellent results.

Sara

16. Susie,

What vet are you using? I know a few around that you just walk in and get the Rx off the shelf and then they write the Rx for ya. Let me know and I can send ya some good vets. Also, make sure that they have dairy cattle in the pratice. If they are manly small animal or beef that is why they are only going to sell you the box. Since, they have no use for an unopened box laying around their office.

Ken in MO

17. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

That would be it, Ken. I am using the local vet in town. He is small animal and beef cattle. He's the only vet around that will at least give me <most> of what I ask for and is helpful when I need him. Of course, when I call I have all my info ready, temps, age, weight, conditions, what I think the problem is. I hope he sees that I am on top of things and knowlegable. He's been good to me. Expensive at times, but good to me. :) If there were a good goat vet near me, I'd love to know!