alternate blood draw site?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Rose, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Rose

Rose New Member

Is there any easier place to draw blood? We have a two year old Nubian doe that we want to pregnancy test, but she's a head tosser and a fighter when we try to get her still to draw blood. If we have her in the stanchion, she pushes forward and back when we try to work on her neck.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alice

2. You can use any vein...milk vein...vein on the back side of front leg...I have even drawn from the tail. The best way is to get her out of the stachion. Twist the back towards her rump and that way you get a clear shot of the vein. You can even to do with them laying down...just get a halter try head to rear leg. They can not get up then and the vein is pushed to the skin.

Ken

3. pettigrewfarms

pettigrewfarms New Member

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If I can do a buck on my own......clip her head high to a cattle panel, or simply put large staples into the highest post. You want her up on her tiptoes. Then simply have someone stand at her hip and push her into the wall or cattle panel. Her head is controlled by the snap and collar. Since I didn't have anyone to stand beside the buck to draw the blood, I just took a rope and literally...tide his butt to the cattle panel :) Just ran it infront of his flank. He didn't move. Vicki