Alpine Lines

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Bilrite Farms, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

I agree with the Togg thread poster. The Nubian thread started me wishing I could learn more about the other breeds too. I guess I'm not looking for critiques necessarily but a general discussion on the breed? Whose animals do you admire and why? Historic animals and herds? Often, unless they are close by, I just don't get to hear about other herds and I'd like to learn more.

2. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

I really admire the Willow Run Alpines. Also, Pearl Valley, Munchin Hill, Redwood Hill and Cherry Glen.

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Waiilatpu out of Washington State has nice lines and they used to have Willow Run Abraham Tsavo. Tsavo had lots of nice daughters (I have one :biggrin) They have used Sweet Dreams in their line of goats and I like the Sweet Dreams line too as well as the other ones mentioned above. My goats that I retained in my herd are of the Waiilatpu using Willow Run/Sweet Dreams x with my Pearl Valley Yreka Lamont buck on Syrah. My buck is out of Willow Run Armand Abraham x Willow Run Luminary Renada. Syrah's Grandsire is Willow Run Armand Abraham, so I have line bred on him with my girls, including Cambrell. I am anticipating some pretty doelings next year. :biggrin I have whispered in their ears and they better give me some girls. :yeahthat

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

I don't have alpines but if I did I would get some from Sutton's Farm and Amy's Pride alpines. Go check them out www.suttonfarmalpines.com pretty awesome and of course Dixie Does Alpines.

Autumn

5. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho New Member

I often joke that I'm "Pearl Valley North" :lol
    I have a lot of Pearl Valley in my herd. I do a lot of line breeding with both Hoach's and the old Sodium Oaks stuff. Randy Hoach breeds some super animals.

Redwood Hills has some gorgeous animals, Nodaway I have always admired as well. Iron Rod is another herd who has some great style.

Shining Moon is a small herd with some incredible animals -- they have a doe Qua Non, who has beaten the 2 time national champion Jambalaya more than once! http://www.shiningmoonranch.com/sine.html

I have a Tsavo daughter myself, Chris. She appraised 89 VE+E this year. I really like her, though she does toe out in the front, and her rump is just a bit too short for the big mammary she packs.

Should I jinx myself and mention I have a buckling on deposit out of Sutton's? ;)

Tracy

6. Dreen

Dreen New Member

I was supposed to get a Sutton's buck, but I couldn't do the travel at the time it was necessary...:( I like the lines and conformation of Willow Run, and Sweet Dreams and the milking power behind Milk and Honey and Cream O Kansas, and the cairy beauty of Pearl Valley.

One thing I have found is that Pearl Valley blends very well. Willow Run mostly blends well, and Milk and Honey milking does quite well with these lines. I haven't seen Sweet Dreams hold as strong of sway in the characteristics passed on as much as the others. I really, really like Sweet Dreams as a rule.

I have a lot of Misdee's Nadiya in my base, and most of them are very good milkers as well as strongly conformed. I am still looking for that perfect blend with extreme milkiness. I am very happy with the crosses of my bucks; Willow Run which is off Sodium Oaks, and Pearl Valley/Sweet Dreams. This year I am using a Willow Run/Sutton's Triton crossed with Milk and Honey over several of these does. I think it will be good.....:)

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

The nicest Alpines I've seen come out of Willow Run and Waailatpu lines. My friend has a Tsavo son named Crawford. Last fall, I bred a doe I had who was out of a Waailatpu doe and a Nubian buck to Crawford. She had 4 bucklings and then died of milk fever. I kept one of the bucklings to use on one of my grade does. I'm hoping for a doeling from this breeding as I just love Crawford's daughters. Many have gone GHC at our shows. Hopefully, my friend will have some Crawford daughters for sale next spring.

8. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Although not an Alpine breeder, I really admire the Hoach/Brandt alpines, and feel they are a product of a strong vision of a foward looking breeding program. We have some of the most competitive and beautiful Alpines here in Iowa, with Van Wyk's and Pleasant Grove.
    Tim

9. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

It has been fun to hear about some well known herds as well as herds that are new to me. Does anyone have any Olentangy alpines?

Trisha

10. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I'm new to goats but learning, and from what i've seen of the above names i like most all of them. I wish i could have some of those lines right now, but i have to wait and save up the money and talk the hubby into it first :+) Hopefully within a few years though.

I have Olentangy lines Trisha :+) My buck is GT, and from what very little experiance and knowlege i have of them, i really like GT a lot - i can't wait to see his kids. Though he is getting up there in age, and i really wish i had a nice reg. doe ( mine are only reg. NOA ) to breed him to this year and try to get a new herdsire, but i have a few options if i can't do that as well. What do you think of the Olentangy lines ?

11. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

We are new and still untrained. :really I have two doelings from our local Sweetbriar farm. She likes the Nodaway lines. I just go with what she tells me! :biggrin My goal is to improve on any faults my girls have. But we don't show, just aim for quality family milk goats. I like the breeder because she spends time talking to us and teaching us and she's very laid back.

Our first doeling from her is out of her 10*M Sweetbriar Kod Visa.

Our second doeling is out of Sweetbriar BJ Kofi.

They are bred to one of her bucks for March kids.

12. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

We had a couple of GT daughters in our herd and still have one grand daughter. We also have a GT son in our herd that we have used and have a doeling from and have used him to bred a few more does to this year. Trisha

13. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

What do you all think of Tempo Alpines? Lori Acton, (Des Ruhigestelle for Saanen breeders).

I saw her entries for dam and daughter at 2005 Nationals...stunning! Of course they were 1st place....

Camille

14. Josie

Josie New Member

Does anyone have any opinion on the Qu'Apelle lines - ex. Eclipse?

15. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

You could contact Pat at Munchin' Hill Alpines and ask her about that. She used a buck, Etienne, out of Eclipse, quite extensively in her herd.

16. Josie

Josie New Member

Yeah i have his son and a half sister on his dam's side. I love him to bits but i should post pix and get a critique I suppose. I also have a doeling bred by him out of a Supernova daughter (another Eclipse son). Pat Adels really like the buck.

Just wondering what other people think about it. I have a lot to learn :) :)