Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I agree with the Togg thread poster. The Nubian thread started me wishing I could learn more about the other breeds too. I guess I'm not looking for critiques necessarily but a general discussion on the breed? Whose animals do you admire and why? Historic animals and herds? Often, unless they are close by, I just don't get to hear about other herds and I'd like to learn more.

·
1,197 Posts
I really admire the Willow Run Alpines. Also, Pearl Valley, Munchin Hill, Redwood Hill and Cherry Glen.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Waiilatpu out of Washington State has nice lines and they used to have Willow Run Abraham Tsavo. Tsavo had lots of nice daughters (I have one :biggrin) They have used Sweet Dreams in their line of goats and I like the Sweet Dreams line too as well as the other ones mentioned above. My goats that I retained in my herd are of the Waiilatpu using Willow Run/Sweet Dreams x with my Pearl Valley Yreka Lamont buck on Syrah. My buck is out of Willow Run Armand Abraham x Willow Run Luminary Renada. Syrah's Grandsire is Willow Run Armand Abraham, so I have line bred on him with my girls, including Cambrell. I am anticipating some pretty doelings next year. :biggrin I have whispered in their ears and they better give me some girls. :yeahthat

·
Registered
829 Posts
I often joke that I'm "Pearl Valley North" :lol
I have a lot of Pearl Valley in my herd. I do a lot of line breeding with both Hoach's and the old Sodium Oaks stuff. Randy Hoach breeds some super animals.

Redwood Hills has some gorgeous animals, Nodaway I have always admired as well. Iron Rod is another herd who has some great style.

Shining Moon is a small herd with some incredible animals -- they have a doe Qua Non, who has beaten the 2 time national champion Jambalaya more than once! http://www.shiningmoonranch.com/sine.html

I have a Tsavo daughter myself, Chris. She appraised 89 VE+E this year. I really like her, though she does toe out in the front, and her rump is just a bit too short for the big mammary she packs.

Should I jinx myself and mention I have a buckling on deposit out of Sutton's? ;)

Tracy

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was supposed to get a Sutton's buck, but I couldn't do the travel at the time it was necessary...:( I like the lines and conformation of Willow Run, and Sweet Dreams and the milking power behind Milk and Honey and Cream O Kansas, and the cairy beauty of Pearl Valley.

One thing I have found is that Pearl Valley blends very well. Willow Run mostly blends well, and Milk and Honey milking does quite well with these lines. I haven't seen Sweet Dreams hold as strong of sway in the characteristics passed on as much as the others. I really, really like Sweet Dreams as a rule.

I have a lot of Misdee's Nadiya in my base, and most of them are very good milkers as well as strongly conformed. I am still looking for that perfect blend with extreme milkiness. I am very happy with the crosses of my bucks; Willow Run which is off Sodium Oaks, and Pearl Valley/Sweet Dreams. This year I am using a Willow Run/Sutton's Triton crossed with Milk and Honey over several of these does. I think it will be good.....:)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The nicest Alpines I've seen come out of Willow Run and Waailatpu lines. My friend has a Tsavo son named Crawford. Last fall, I bred a doe I had who was out of a Waailatpu doe and a Nubian buck to Crawford. She had 4 bucklings and then died of milk fever. I kept one of the bucklings to use on one of my grade does. I'm hoping for a doeling from this breeding as I just love Crawford's daughters. Many have gone GHC at our shows. Hopefully, my friend will have some Crawford daughters for sale next spring.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Although not an Alpine breeder, I really admire the Hoach/Brandt alpines, and feel they are a product of a strong vision of a foward looking breeding program. We have some of the most competitive and beautiful Alpines here in Iowa, with Van Wyk's and Pleasant Grove.
Tim

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has been fun to hear about some well known herds as well as herds that are new to me. Does anyone have any Olentangy alpines?

Trisha

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm new to goats but learning, and from what i've seen of the above names i like most all of them. I wish i could have some of those lines right now, but i have to wait and save up the money and talk the hubby into it first :+) Hopefully within a few years though.

I have Olentangy lines Trisha :+) My buck is GT, and from what very little experiance and knowlege i have of them, i really like GT a lot - i can't wait to see his kids. Though he is getting up there in age, and i really wish i had a nice reg. doe ( mine are only reg. NOA ) to breed him to this year and try to get a new herdsire, but i have a few options if i can't do that as well. What do you think of the Olentangy lines ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
We are new and still untrained. :really I have two doelings from our local Sweetbriar farm. She likes the Nodaway lines. I just go with what she tells me! :biggrin My goal is to improve on any faults my girls have. But we don't show, just aim for quality family milk goats. I like the breeder because she spends time talking to us and teaching us and she's very laid back.

Our first doeling from her is out of her 10*M Sweetbriar Kod Visa.

Our second doeling is out of Sweetbriar BJ Kofi.

They are bred to one of her bucks for March kids.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We had a couple of GT daughters in our herd and still have one grand daughter. We also have a GT son in our herd that we have used and have a doeling from and have used him to bred a few more does to this year. Trisha

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What do you all think of Tempo Alpines? Lori Acton, (Des Ruhigestelle for Saanen breeders).

I saw her entries for dam and daughter at 2005 Nationals...stunning! Of course they were 1st place....

Camille

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does anyone have any opinion on the Qu'Apelle lines - ex. Eclipse?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah i have his son and a half sister on his dam's side. I love him to bits but i should post pix and get a critique I suppose. I also have a doeling bred by him out of a Supernova daughter (another Eclipse son). Pat Adels really like the buck.

Just wondering what other people think about it. I have a lot to learn :) :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts