Almost over the hump....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by mill-valley, Feb 28, 2008.

1. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 and 11 days old today. In the past I have had a heck of a time with cryptosporidia, lost a few kids to it. I have moved since getting married and was hoping the location change would help...seems it has! It use to kick in at 5 days like clockwork. I've also been really careful about feeding the kids before the calves. Are they old enough to cut back to 2x/day feeding (bottle-feeding fresh milk)? Right now I'm doing 3x/day all they can eat...each will drink about 20 oz 3x/day.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Are they growing well enough in the passed to be bred the first year on 2 bottles? Mine don't. Moving Nubians down below that 1/2 gallon a day simply doesn't put the size I need on them. Vicki

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I was hoping since they are Feb. kids they should easily be big enough. The last time I bottle-fed was a couple years ago...they were April kids (getting 20 oz 2x/day) and were bred the first year, I don't remember how big they were but did fine. Maybe I should keep them on 3x/day a bit longer. How old do you wean them then? Do you keep them on 3x/day until weaning?