Algae ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

My DH wants to know why it's not OK to have algae accumulation in the water trough?

I don't have the right answer.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Nice link Sondra. Thanks for posting it. :)
    Wow! I think I'm going to be dreaming of Algae tonight. LOL :lol

4. Truly

Truly New Member

Thank you Sondra. I forwarded the link to my DH.

He thinks we should just keep adding fresh water, not removing the algae.

5. Truly

Truly New Member

So DH replied, that the article does not help as it is in regards to aquariums.

I don't get it. What part of "FRESH WATER" does he not understand. If there's algae growing in it, good or bad, then the water isn't fresh, right?

HELP! :crazy

6. Rose

Rose New Member

I hate to be the one to break the news, but that website didn't say there was anything wrong with having algae in the water trough.

Personally, I don't like how it looks. But I doubt it makes that much difference to the livestock.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And inside the algea is fresh water. My mother insists that it puts vital nutrients into the water :) I do keep vinegar in the water during the summer, but dumping 25 gallon water barrells because they get a little green this time of year is not only wasteful, but with saturated grounds from soo much rain, I don't want mud!

I tend to agree with your husband! Vicki

8. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I just think of all the yuppies adding spirolina to their fruit smoothies...my goats are getting their dose for free-lol!

9. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

Here is a fact sheet.
    But I would not use copper sulfate.
    Copper toxicity is not fun to deal with in goats.
    I have been there and done that.
    You have to know what your copper needs are.
    I am sure that some can use it just fine in there troughs but be careful
    Fran

http://ohioline.osu.edu/anr-fact/0012.html

Algae Control in Troughs or Tanks

Algae can clog overflows or possibly create toxic conditions in a livestock water trough. Sunlight and warm temperatures, combined with nutrients, may promote algae growth until control measures need to be implemented. Periodically cleaning the tank to reduce nutrients slows algae growth. Applying Copper sulfate crystals (see chart below) controls algae growth (Snyder Industries Inc.). Apply every 2 to 4 weeks as needed. Dissolve crystals in warm water and pour throughout the tank to achieve best results.

10. Truly

Truly New Member

OK, Vicki, he'll love to have won this one. Ya gotta let them win every once in awhile.

However, our ground is VERY dry and dumping the water doesn't even come close to making mud. Here in the Big Horn Basin, it's actually considered high desert. The ground just soaks up whatever you put on it.

We use well water for the goats so it doesn't cost us any extra. We've never used so much water that the well ran dry. All of the outside spigots are attached to the well. I can water all day long and it just keeps coming. (Hope I didn't just jinx myself.)

I've been putting some copper sulfate in the water to kill the algae, but he says it just makes the situation worse.

This all started cuz I asked him to empty the water trough and power spray it a bit b4 refilling it. He hates to do anything extra. :sigh

Halo-M, maybe we should drink their water. :rofl

Sharpgoat, I use less than a tablespoon in a 40 gallon water trough. I do not add the copper as a supplement to my goats at all. I use a copper bolus for that. But thank you for the link.

11. Rose

Rose New Member

Maybe a compromise? Powerwash the troughs twice a year?