Alfalfa Pellets

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Secondairy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I am interested in feeding an alfalfa pellet after reading all of the good information about them, in addition to being able to reduce/eliminate the amount of grain fed. I have checked with what I can get locally, and this is what is listed on the bags:
    Forage products, molasses products, animal fat preserved with ethoxyquin.

I have googled "Red River Valley alfalfa pellet", "Arrow alfalfa pellet", "Bryant alfalfa pellet", and "Evans alfalfa pellet", but am coming up short handed. Maybe I am not searching the right key words, or in the wrong phrases.

I would rather stick with my current 'grain, browse, hay, minerals' than feed something less than ideal. Are the pellets more common in the south? I can get alfalfa cubes, but they are rock hard, and I wont even feed them to my rabbits. Maybe if I busted them up some in a bag with a sledge hammer, but it still is not a pellet after all!

Kelly :)

2. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

Mine are 17% protein (Max),moisture 10 % (Max) and crude fibre 28% (Max). :D

Nothing more nothing less. I feed a litre twice a day at milking time to the milkers and the others only get half that amount. It is very expensive here,16 dollars for 25 Kg bag which is about 50 lbs I think and it only lasts me 4 days.

Wendy

3. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

Do you have any Agways where your at? I grew up in NE PA and we had an Agway close by that carried all types of grain. It's not worth the effort to break up alfalfa cubes. You may be better off sticking with alfalfa hay where your at. I know alot of farmers grow nice alfalfa in the NE/Eastern PA still at a reasonable price that would be cheaper than using pellets.

Ray

4. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

Yes Ray, I do have two Agway's nearby. One that is ridiculously overpriced on just about everything, and the other one is intermittent on what they carry. I used to purchase my rabbit feed there, but stopped when they offered to do nothing when I noticed the feed changed, and the rabbits were doing poorly on it. They claimed it was my 'management', as their formula didn't change. I just couldn't deal with the 2 lbs. of fines in the bottoms of the bags, or the sickly yellow discolored pellets in the bags, not to mention whole corn, and loss of productivity and condition in our show herd. At $15 a bag, and the show rabbits are eating a bag a day - I had to stop buying from there and move on. Now we are paying about $14.19 a bag from TSC of Manna Pro, and even with the 45 mile round trip, its so much better!

I will see what they have, as I am thinking about the pellets as more of an 'end of winter' thing before I can get more fresh, as some hay's here really go down the tubes due to improper storage. Yellow on the sides I don't mind, but yellow and brittle all the way through? Thats a problem for us!

Kelly :)

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Alfalfa pellets is a horse product, alfalfa cubes cattle. Just because a feed store doesn't carry the product does not mean it isn't in their book to order from. Do you have any stores who cater to horses? I have never seen a bag of alfalfa pellets with anything on the tag except dehydrated alfalfa, except at our coop where they count the corn used to clean the hopper between batches. Vicki

6. Merry Beth

Merry Beth New Member

I was at a feed store the other day and they bag their own feed. I asked about Arrow brand and they told me that they did not have "Arrow" brand pellets, but that they got their pellets from the same supplier as O'Neals and O'Neal's brand name is Arrow.
    I had also done a search online and come up empty handed.

From what they told me the other day, the same pellet can be bagged under different names. I am going by what my does' breeder told me, what I've read on here and what the feed store guy told me. We have experimented with several kinds of pellets since we are unable to get nice hay. They seem to like the "Petrus/Arrow/?" the best, but they also liked Prime Quality or Cargill pellets.

Hope that helps to clear up the brand confusion. I may not be clear myself. :)