alfalfa pellets or nothing

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Apr 23, 2008.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

the store ran out of pellets They are NOT eating the alfalfa cubes not crushed not soaked, just picking a very little, Still milking like troopers, but One of my does wouldn't touch her grain this morning I could tell she doesn't feel good. I sure hope they get pellets in Today or at least Thurs, I'm going to call and bug them. The bucks are eating them, and everyone except the bucks have access to 35 acres of pasture they are out there munching shoot's off trees and weeds and brambles, and a little grass. :nooo I hope I don't have a pending crisis on my hands.. :crazy

2. coso

coso Guest

Got any one close that would have four or five bales of alfalfa hay they would sell you to get you through?

3. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

do any of your feed stores carry expensive alfalfa bales? That is what I would do if I just couldn't get pellets for a few days. I sure wouldn't want to pull them off alfalfa completely. I actually had this happen last year right in the midst of 2 blizzards, ran out of pellets and couldn't get out to the highway to go get any more. were off pellets for a week only had one milking at the time and she began having symptoms of hypocalcemia; off feed; quivering ect. thankfully she was in the end of lactation (13.5 mo. in) and I took her down to 1 x/day that week to help her out and just get our kids by.

However if the blizzard hadn't kept me from getting out I could have ran to the local feedstore and bought an expensive bale of alfalfa to get me by. (and of course this year I actually have a. hay on hand :lol) We buy a. pellets in 2 ton sacks bulk and never let it get too close to running out.

4. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

they don't carry anything like that around here and there is No hay, I've called around. I wish I could get it in 2 ton sacks!
    In fact someone called me begging for hay yesterday! I don't even have any Crap hay left. I hope we have a
    Bumper hay crop this year! we need it.

5. Whitney

Whitney Member

I get dried alfalfa in bulk for teas. I have fed that to the does before when we ran short on pellets. They loved it!

6. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

walmart has alfalfa tablets...

7. And if all else fails go the grocery store and get alfalfa sprouts. Tammy

8. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

hmmm...if they are to be off alfalfa completely for several days or longer? than maybe somebody can chime in on a dose of/thoughts on supplementing with some calcium inj. then. are the pellets supposed to be in tomorrow??

9. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I just called them again, they don't know for sure when they'll be in or even If they will be in. She said try rabbit pellets. Basically all they are eating when not on the stand is Indiana Pasture.

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yes and other states. Lol! tomorrow I'll Call Ohio farther away and see if I can special order. Thank goodness I got my OLD Hay guy back again for this year. : ) : ) now if we can just get through this crisis.

11. old dominion

old dominion New Member

I think some of the very good quality rabbit food is 100% alfalfa pellets. Also, our Tractor Supply just started keeping in stock a 14% AP. On the expensive side but it is better than snowballs.

Jolene

12. Have you tried Fort Wayne? Or is that too far?

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

What feed store's in fort wayne?

14. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Sherrie - I know it's quite a trip for you - but we've got lots of alfalfa pellets down here in SE Indiana

PJ

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

pj lol! I don't have time, except on a Sunday! I'm driving school bus all week and in a farmers market on Sat. all day. I think maybe crossing fingers here I may have found some HAY when the guy gets home from work so I can reach him via phone.

16. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Hopefully that will work out. We've got a wrestling tournamet on Saturday in Columbus - so I was going to offer to drive some at least that far for you if it would help! :D

PJ