alfalfa pellet question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by baileybunch, Jan 21, 2008.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I've never heard this one before but a friend said that she doesn't feed alfalfa pellets because they have green dye in them. :really Huh? Wouldn't that be listed on the ingredients? So, if alfalfa pellets are not 100% alfalfa what else <could> be in them?

2. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

That's weird :/. Never heard of that before.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sounds like she doesn't know alfalfa is green

4. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

we stopped using one BRAND of alfalfa pellets because they used molasses in them but other than that every bag we have gotten just says "dehydrated alfalfa" on the label.

5. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

I took a unopened bag back to the feed store because it listed "animal fat" on the label. Another brand listed "Chicken Fat". I called the manafacture on the first bag and asked why animal fat was in dehyderated alfalfa and what kind of animal was it from. Answer was"so it won't burn when sent through the extruder and we have no idea what kind of animal the fat came from."

Found a brand that is just alfalfa.

Tamera

6. Chaty

Chaty New Member

Yep that is what mine says...100% alfafa...Its out of a place in Nebraska...and my girls love it. Its Sholstafers or something like that. Havent seen any around here that says animal fat on it that I can recall.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It would have veggy oil listed, and yes they spray alfalfa pellets with green vegetable dye in some places. Since the actual dye is less than 1% of the ingredent of the oil, it isn't listed. Vicki

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

So, if the bag says "100% alfalfa" can we take it to mean that it doesn't have added fat or oil? Would it definitely say that fat and/or oil and/or other products are added if they are. Ours is 100% alfafla pellets. Although the last month I am VERY unhappy with the quality...full of fines and smells like smoke! We are sifting BUCKETS of fines out of the pellets! :(

9. NubianSoaps.com

Shoot mine eat all the fines. But yes 100% dehydrated alfalfa is what my bags say, both the 14% and the 17%. Vicki

10. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

If ya'll don't mind me asking another alfalfa pellet question. . . how many cups is in one pound of alfalfa pellets for all of you?? I weighed mine and 3 cups = 1 lb. Does that sound about right?

Suriyah

11. NubianSoaps.com

Yeah that sounds about right, I have a big red feed scoop, the squarish ones, and full, not heaping that is just over 3 pounds. Vicki

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep my blue scoop is 3 cups or 1 lb

13. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Well, if I leave the fines in the pellets my girls cough and sneeze and get the snots...until I pour the bucket of fines in my compost pile, THEN they eat it! :)

I have a small coffee can and it weighs out 1lb 4oz of pellets OR it could be 1lb 8oz (my daughter erased my measures!). I need to measure again and write it on the can this time. I write everything on the cans. 1 small coffee can is 1/2 lb of beet pulp, 1lb 4oz of grain, etc.