Alfalfa Pellet feeders

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Josie, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Josie

Josie New Member

Didn't want to hijack the other thread :biggrin

What do you guys use to feed your pellets??

I've been trying different things but either then get knocked off the wall, or pooped in. Don't like pouring them into ground feeders either. So.... what do you all use?

Thanks! :)
    Josie

2. Truly

Truly New Member

I have an 11 foot bunk feeder behind a cattle panel. They stick their heads thru the panel to eat. No feet or poos in the food. I do have the bunk feeder hung at an angle as mine is a little deep for the smaller goats to get down to the last of the feed. It's probably tipped at about 30 degrees. It holds 100lb just fine, even at this angle. I usually only use 50lbs at a time tho. It is also easy to fill as the feeder is in the storage part of the barn. The cattle panel is what separates the pen from the storage area.

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I have a bunch of those over the fence (2 hook) feeders.... enough that each doe & buck has their own....

I'd love a different kind of feeder... where I could feed on one side and they stick their heads through, but not doable right now.

This eliminates MOST (not all) of the fighting over the feed....

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

PVC feeders mounted high enough on the wall that they step up with their front feet onto cinder blocks to eat.
    Christy

5. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

I use 2 aluminum dog feeders and two of the plastic ones. Will hold 50lbs.
    BUT, we have them bolted to the wall with huge metal washers on the inside to keep the bolts from breaking through.

LeslieH on here had a great idea for feeding pellets. Maybe she will come back and post some pictures.
    Kaye

6. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I have a wooden one I built.

[attachment deleted by admin]

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kaye to you keep the flap that goes down over the feed closed or do you clip yours open? With 8 soon to be in the junior pen and bred, not really alot of head room (belly room), so was going to put my two up in there. Vicki

8. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

Kaye, Do you have a photo of feeder setup ?

Right now I use a split PVC but I have to get in with the goats to feed ,otherwise it works good.
    I do use a smaller metal dog food feeder for the kid goats.

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I do not feed free choice, and feed all my goats individually.
    I feed out of bred baking pans. I made wooden frames that the pans will easily set down in, and these frames are bolted to the wall of the barn. I keep extra clean pans in the barn, and just pop out and set in a clean one as needed.......as I get two or three dirty ones, I can just throw them in the dishwasher with the next load that runs. If I were to gang feed, I would go a lot like pic above where the slats run up and down , helping to prevent much of a fight when two or more are feeding.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I took the flap off the metal dog feeders after I had a couple baby cats crawl in and die. That was before I used them for goats. So no flaps here. That is just in the kids pen now. on two other pens I have those big blue barrel things that hold hay and pellets but wish they were covered some how for rain. They just hang on the fence and I fill from over top . the rest eat out of pans on the ground. Got to change that.

11. Josie

Josie New Member

yeah I'm not sure what the dog feeders are either... but sounds cool. anyone have a picture? Sounds like what I need to do. That or the feeder with the cattle panel.

Going to show this to my brother and see what he thinks about making it for me. :) I need a fix for right now but am also looking for ideas for my new place.

I have 4 of these feeders but its just not working for me. I put pellets in them and they eat for a while. Then it seems like the like to put their feet in them. :sigh

Thanks guys!!

12. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Automatic feeders will not work for me. My goats are pigs when it comes to alfalfa pellets and will eat too much of them. I feed all of my goats from the outside so you can even wear your Sunday shoes without getting goat poop on them. They have to stick their head through a cattle panel in order to eat. This discourages them from pounding each other because they have to remove their heads from the feed and back out to butt the goat nearby. I use 8 or ten inch pvc schedule 40 pipes cut in half down the middle which are about ten foot in lenght. These are hung on the fence with hay string at an angle so that it will drain. These are easily flipped over to knock out any dirt or contaminant and then I pour the pellets into them.

For rainy days or bad weather, I have an inside area where again they have to put their heads through a cattle panel. Here I have the 3 - 4 foot hanging feeders from Slydell. These are durable feeders that are about 6 inches deep. There is a 2 X 12 at the bottom of this panel for stability.

I have little problems with wasted feed with either of these methods.

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

One problem that we have had with feeding through alfalfa pellets is that they are getting rubbed raw on the chest and then on the back of the neck where they are pushing against the panels to eat.

14. Truly

Truly New Member

Ok, here's a pic of my feeder. It's not the best but I think you can get the idea of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

15. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Ok here are some images of my alfalfa feeders I built to go on the barn wall last summer. They have worked great. In fact I built another one for out in my buck pen. I adapted Chris's design for what I have now. Below that is a hay feeder I also built.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my hay feeder
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Justine

16. old dominion

old dominion New Member

We use feeders like LynninTX. We have gates in our barn and hang the feeders on the gates so the goats stick their heads through the gate to get to the pellets. I get to feed from outside the pen. When it comes to feeding I put feed in these same feeders on top of the pellets.

17. Melissa

Melissa New Member

ahh Justine, I LOVE your old name of mother clucker. never mind me.. just reminiscing.

18. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Melissa! So good to see you on here! LOL I was like "how on earth did she know my old name" LOL!

Justine

19. Josie

Josie New Member

Thanks a bunch you guys for the ideas and especially the pictures!!!

I'm going to try to wing together a feeder to hang on the wall - maybe it will look something like what it's supposed to! :) I like the feeding through the cattle panel idea and will definitely use it at the new place. Here I just have one long pen and cattle panel by the gate only. I think that's been park of my problem with hanging feeders.

Stay warm!! ~Josie

20. Melissa

Melissa New Member

yea, I just keep following these crazy goat owners around to different forums. lol.
    was homesteadingtoday still called countryside when we first went there? (jeeze, I'm showin' my age) anybody know how many forums we've been at now? 4? 5? I really can't remember. It's just neat how we've all been togeather for so long. it's 3 in the morning, can you tell I'm sleep deprived. I'm taking some Advil and going to bed. might wake up to another 2-3inches of ice on the ground when I wake up in the morning. of corse, compaired to last January, it'll be a walk in the park. okay, I'm rambling, off to bed with me...

-Melissa

-Melissa