Alfalfa pellet feeder

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Secondairy, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

I would like to start offering alfalfa pellets free choice to my herd, but don't know what to put them in. I don't have an actual barn right now, and when I do, I plan on making a built in feed hopper to load them in by the 50 lb. My question is for now, how or what to I put them in to keep them out of the weather and still allow the goats free access to a large amount (so that I don't have to keep refilling it every day). My current shed for the goats is, one of those 10x10 metal buildings, but the sides are not nearly strong enough to support a feeder of any kind, let alone frisky goats! I thought about using one of those plastic 55 gallon drums somehow, but I don't even know where to begin.

I would appreciate any ideas that any one may have. A stand alone feeder would be ideal at this time, something perhaps movable so that I can move it into the shed if weather is cruddy.

Thanks!

Kelly :)

2. chewie

chewie New Member

just last weekend in my local TSC there was a long feeder wtih a metal insert for goats, was about 3 foot long i'd guess. was only about $14 bucks too, and hooked over a panel or something. i've seen ppl make their own out of a large pvc pipe, cut lenghtwise. but for the money, i'd get the premade one.

3. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I believe I have the one Chris mentioned...it works great for feeding my kids but doesn't hold much, 1 or 2 adult goats could clean it out. I use steel pig troughs on the ground, and the goats reach through a cattle panel to get to it...but that wouldn't work in your case.

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I was wondering how the automatic dog feeders would work for goats ? Anyone ever try ?

Patty

5. coso

coso Guest

I'm pretty sure that's what Kaye uses to feed her pellets with. You will have to ask her when she gets back. Should be this weekend sometime.

6. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

That actually is kind of what I was thinking about Cosco, as they can hold alot. I can then use it in the finished buck barn by wall mounting it when I get the other doe barn built, but how good would it be outside without a barn for protection? And would the goats mash it to bits, as that is their favorite pass time ;) I was thinking that I could bungee it to a tree to stop them from knocking it over, as if I get it near a fence for support they would just use it as a convenient ladder to escape.

My plans for the barn is to make a wooden hopper that I can fill from the milking room (as not to get mobbed), and have it self feed into a trough 8' long (to accommodate all of their heads and bodies without fights) below on the inside by the goats. I have found a GREAT alfalfa pellet locally, it is just Alfalfa, and an 18.5% min - 20% max protein, as compared to the ones from TSC which are funky brown/gray/green colored, mealy smelling and only 15% protein. The pellets are larger and harder, but they are sooo bright green in color and the smell is down right heavenly. Very little dust, and a better binding method I think.

Thanks for the idea, I will check with Kaye to see what kinds of bugs she had to work out!

Kelly :)

7. Rambar Ranch

Rambar Ranch New Member

We use an upright double hole hog feeder. It holds nearly 100 lbs of alfalfa pellets and we used it to feed about 20 babies at a time with no troubles. It would last a week at a time so we didnt' have to refill it much. We purchased ours severral years ago but it was about $90 at the time. Not sure how much they are now.

ray