Alfalfa hay vs. pellets

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doulanobles, Jun 6, 2008.

1. doulanobles

doulanobles Guest

I currently feed pellets at $19.99 for an 80# bag. We are pasturing some of our neihgbors cows this summer though and are going to take payment in beef and alfalfa hay. So, what is the best way to switch and how can i encourage the girls to enjoy every last morsel and resist the urge to be wasteful? Also, what is the equivalent? I feed 3# daily to my milker with her oats and BOSS. Would i just feed hay am and pm and give grain and BOSS on the stand?

TIA

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well no matter what you do you will have waste with the hay they like the leaves but usually leave the stems. You won't have a problem changing them over to hay tho. and yes just oats and boss on the stand.

3. My girls are getting alfalfa hay now since we found some REALLY REALLY nice alfalfa hay. I feed them the hay morning and night. And they get their grain and BOSS on the milk stand at milking time.

4. doulanobles

doulanobles Guest

The decision is purely financial but I have to figure out if it's really a savings. The pasturing costs us nothing and we get $10/mo. per cow and they have 22. So, a month would be $220 or so and a ton of alfalfa I think costs around $150-200 so after 2 months, we'd have plenty for our few goats BUT, if they waste a lot ans we go through a lot more, then the savings is obviously less. Hmmm...What to do ;)

5. my word of advice with feeding hay. Get GOOD hay feeders for them. Something they have to pull out a mouth full at a time. Not one that they can stick their head into the hay. That way they will waste alot less hay and they are only getting at one time a mouthful.

Ken in MO

6. old dominion

old dominion New Member

We know people who feed only alfalfa hay and they have a hay feeder with a trough that the hay sits in. The front of the hay rack is slanted bars. The does put their heads in and frequently just stand there eating. This works very well for them.

Jolene