alfalfa *fines*

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jun 6, 2008.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

does anyone's goats eat these?

*I* call it DUST :lol

I posted before our alfalfa pellets changed and are crumbling too easy! Dh talked to the feed store owner... who suggested wetting the *fines* to see if they'd eat it :really And seemed surprised the goats would not eat the *fines*.

Our relply... was NO... and noted that the pellets were never like this until about 2months ago... AND the price had really risen.

Soooo we need to go in search of pellets elsewhere... but does ANYONE have goats that will eat fines?

Adding it to my garden for now.

2. My goats wont eat the alfalfa pellet dust. I just sift it out and give it to the cow. She eats it. LOL

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Nope, mine won't eat it. I put it around my plants in the garden.

4. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Mine won't eat the dust either, I sprinkle it on the chicken feed.

5. Truly

Truly New Member

Mine won't eat it either.

Fortunately for me, the bags I have now haven't been too bad.

6. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

Well.......feeling like a guilty goat owner here.....but I guess I .......make my goats eat it :blush. I am told I measure down to the tsp. when dealing w/feed and pellets and I guess I do. Right now my milking pen is at about 4 lbs. /day but that is cleaning up the fines also and there are definitely fines.

Actually, call me strange, but I sort of like the fines(to a point of course). When the kids are young and just starting to nibble, I seek out and save all the fines I can get for them which seems to get them to nibbling sooner and better. ANd if I ever end up w/fines then I give them as part of the buck ration of pellets. Or, they are also what I use to get calves to nibbling on their calf pellets aka black gold pellets sooner; they LOVE A. pellets and the fines!

just my tsp. worth of a thought :D

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Lynn don't you just sift out the dirt /fill the gel caps and use them for the humans?? :)

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Call the mill, your feed dealer should have done this for you. Everytime my pellets get crumbly I complain, and Dewey calls the mill :) he knows I am not the most loyal of customers and he wants to keep me! Vicki

9. old dominion

old dominion New Member

My goats eat it. Our pellets don't have a large amount of fines but what is there is always eaten.

Jolene

10. Karen Bailey

Karen Bailey New Member

I just can't stand to waste alfalfa as expensive as it is, so I try to make the fines more appealing. I sift out the fines and feed the pellets every day. When I have an accumulation of fines collected in a feed bag I then mix in a very small amount of the Bluebonnet Minerals for the flavoring (about 1 cup minerals to 12 cups fines) and put them out in a feeder. My goats think it's a treat and fight over it! They have minerals out free choice and they have as much alfalfa as they want, but when I mix them, the goats think it's something different. :shrug2

One other comment on this though. In the summer sometimes there are bugs in the bags of alfalfa pellets. The bugs are sifted out with the fines, and the fines are not used in this manner.

11. Nancy

Nancy New Member

Because we feed beet pulp wet we mix the fine in with that. The girls can't eat it fast enough :D

12. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks all...

Sondra you rat! I read that with my dh standing behind me and he poked me and told me that sounded like a GREAT IDEA!

Vickie... dh said he did call *someone*, but ok so... is it going to be fixed? So I need to find what mill it is coming from & call

We buy about 15 bags a week...

I could try that with the minerals! Even with 2 mineral feeders they fight over them

13. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

the ones that we get from the co-op are GREAT. Everytime we have to go buy the MORE EXPENSIVE ones "locally" everyone here complains--goats AND people.

Lynn what brand are you talking about?

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Arrow brand... tag says LA.

15. Terry

Terry Member

Mine won't eat it either. I finally found some that has very little dust.

16. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

newest batch is better, but still not quite what it was....

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Always like to help :)

18. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

We just switched to the co-op brand. The M/G bags were - no kidding - like ,70 percent dust lately. The feed store did take them back, but the co-op ones are SOOO much better and cheaper to boot. We just got our money back on the powdered ones.

19. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Debated driving for them every other month, but we do not think the van could haul that much.

We just lost our source for milk jugs... so between hearing about

the co-op
    LeeAnne has a source for jugs I think...
    a homeschool bookstore

my dh is really debating trying to figure out HOW to do every other month trips...