Albon for my pregnant doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Dawn, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Dawn

Dawn New Member

:help My three year old pregnant Nubian doe is showing sines on Coccidiosis, is Albon safe to use on her? She is due May 9 and I want to make sure that it won't hurt her or her baby/babies?
    Thanks everyone!!!
    Emily

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would do a fecal, mostly because signs of cocci are usually signs of worms also. Both of which if she gets diarrhea can end the pregnancy. It's really hard to freshen does out her past early April, because you are usually having to worm them right before they kid and after the kid and sometimes even again. Vicki

3. Dawn

Dawn New Member

We did a fecal and she does have it. :-( So we are treating her with sulftrim, the vet said it won't hurt pregnant does.
    Emily

4. NubianSoaps.com

Emily all goat have cocci. It takes numbers in the high hundreds to effect kids, and high thousands to effect your adults. If it clears with sulfatrim you know that it wasn't the problem since it's not very potent. If you put her on a sulfa everytime he sees cocci on fecal she will be on a sulfa for life.

Did he see any worms eggs on the fecal? What were the names of the worms?

How are her eyelids, check out the Famacha chart on goatkeeping 101 and see how your doe measures up. Vicki

5. Dawn

Dawn New Member

No, he said there were no worms! :) Her eyelids look great! He knows that they always have some cocci in them, but she does have it bad because she is pretty sick! The sulfatrim has always worked for me. I gave her some vit b complex and pro bios so HOPEFULLY she will feel a little better.
    Thanks!!
    Emily
    Ps what do you use for cocci? :???

6. NubianSoaps.com

Corid or Albon. But I prefer to use Corid and then use banamine to calm the gut. In adult animals there is really something going on for them to have an outbreak. In fact cocci is soo opportunistic here that any one really ill and on antibiotics, automatically goes on a sulfa also or Corid for prevention.

What symptoms are you dealing with? Vicki