AI Techniques

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by R and R Farms, Oct 26, 2008.

1. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

I know a lot of you AI your does and I think most use frozen semen, from what I read in your posts. My question is whether anyone uses fresh, chilled semen as most in the dog world do, and if not, why not? I don't have a nitrogen tank but would like to try AI with some of the bucks that are out there still living and if I'm not mistaken, I believe the cost is a bit more frugal friendly. :biggrin......Mike

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

3. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Mike, I don't know of any goat processors that are doing chilled semen.

The biggest problem you would run into is timing -- a dog's cycle is a LOT longer than a goat, and they normally aren't bred until day 10-12, which gives you a lot of time to collect and ship the semen. A goat can be in and back out within 24 hours. How are you going to GET that chilled semen in time? The buck owner would have to be standing by to have him collected on an moment's notice. Not likely to happen. Most vets can do dog/horse collecting -- I don't know any that would do a goat.

The cost would not be likely to be very frugal once you figured in the cost of overnight shipping plus the super rush collecting.

4. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

There's no such thing in the goat world. Most common form of semen is frozen. You can use fresh semen if the buck is on your property or have a way to get it from the buck into the doe in 15min. or less or have a temperature(101 degrees) controlled container. I don't know of any such thing...but it possible to invent one.

Reason we don't use chilled/fresh semen. Chill some semen under a microscope and see how long it lives. We also buy semen all year to use for 3-4 months during optimal breeding season.

As for cost....it's much cheaper to use frozen semen than to mess with the other 2 forms. You're going to pay as much or more for a chilled semen shipper than a nitrogen tank. Fresh semen...why would you use it if the buck's on your property or nearby. Easier to let the doe carry it. Besides, we buy semen year(s) in advance to incorporate it into our breeding programs. It can take years to prove a buck and the semen is stored for many years to be used when his worth is determined or destroyed if he's a dud.
    Kaye

BTW...equine semen will not freeze. Only way is chilled or fresh semen. Yes, embryos will freeze.

5. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Very true! I have used some 20 yr old semen and it still looked great -- and the doe settled with quads. I have some that should be destroyed probably too -- but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it!

Kaye, I think they actually are freezing equine semen now! I know our vet has a couple of nitrogen tanks with inventory for some of the big dressage barns. Pretty new -- I don't know what kind of live rate they have after thaw.
    http://www.equinefrozensemen.com/ These guys say that Colorado State has done a lot of work on it recently.
    Biggest problem seems to be getting the registries to accept it.

Tracy

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol A few years ago, AQHA wouldn't accept an AI foal for reg. unless the stallion was standing on the property. Dumbest thing I ever heard but it was true. I see now, that they are accepting AI foals.
    :rofl Well....that's a lot of $$$ to only be able to use the semen for a limited time.
    :really Did you look at the prices???
    HUH??? Well, maybe not quite got it right yet?

No, Thanks. I'll stick to my "frozen goat semen" and my good ole' stud horse. He eats less than the cost of collection, unlike bucks.
    Kaye

7. R and R Farms

R and R Farms New Member

Good point, Tracie. I guess I wasn't thinking of the short time frame the doe would afford. Thanks for the replies.....Mike