AI Questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jimandpj, Apr 9, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I am going to learn how to AI my new alpines this Fall. I have a friend who does AI, and she's going to teach me. She's got all the equipment already.

Question - how do you go about choosing what buck to use?

When breeding before, I always just used the best buck around. I'm not sure where to begin.

Help!!
    PJ

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Look at your does. Write down each one's strengths and weaknesses. Then choose a buck with strong points to counteract the weaknesses. IE if the doe has a pocket in her foreudder...find a buck that is out of a doe with a really nice foreudder. Better yet, look at some of his daughters (milking) and see how they look compared to your does. You don't want to double up on weaknesses so don't breed a narrow bodied buck to your narrow bodied doe, etc. It's all about looking for improvements. With AI you can customize a buck with each of your does if you want.

3. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

ok - that makes sense. :D

But how do I start? Do I just pick a big name in alpines? Kickapoo Valley? Cherry Glen? Willow Run? And narrow it down from there? (What other big names are there that I don't even know)? How do you know if they even collect semen from their bucks?

Can I do this online? Or do I contact the breeder and go on their advice?

Do I worry about linebreeding? Or since I know nothing about the genetic lines anyway, do I not worry about that at this point?

In other word, once I know what I'm looking for to correct my does weaknesses - how do I find the right buck?

4. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Well, since you asked about Alpines specifically :biggrin

Okay, first off -- whose goats do you admire? In the Alpine breed, there are any number of "styles" out there. Not everyone has the same style, not everyone wants the same style! Your first mission should be to identify exactly WHAT it is that you want in a goat, and find breeders whose animals you admire in type.

Once that is done, things get much easier. One of the best tools out there is the ADGA pedigree site. http://www.adgagenetics.org
    You can use this site to see what bucks are throwing what traits. You can search for high scores in a particular trait for any buck. This information is gathered through their daughters. You can also see what a buck is predicted to pass on. Look at the pedigrees of the goats you like, and see what cross made them!

Start studying those genetics. Once you get into it, you pick it up pretty quickly. I like the old Sodium Oaks stuff, and most of my herd has it incorporated in there somewhere :)
    Are you interested only in French Alpines? Your gene pool from which to select from gets smaller!

But really, you have to figure out what it is that you like and go from there.

If you have questions about a particular line, just ask! :)

Tracy

5. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Thanks, Tracy. The website gives me a great starting point. I've heard that Nationals are right here by me in Louisville this year - I'll be going and doing some studying! :D

PJ

6. coso

coso Guest

Yeah, and do your semen shopping there too. A lot of your top breeders will be there plus most of your AI supply companies so bring your tank. A one stop semen shop. :yes

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Unfortunately, BIO-Genics won't be at Nationals this year. Bummer! They were so great about transporting semen.

Sara

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Oh, bummer! Wonder if the other two will be there? Doesn't matter, I'll be taking mine anyway.
    I THINK I need a 28' trailer...8' for the goats and 20' for all the crap I've got to take!
    Kaye

9. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I never would have thought of getting semen at Nationals - that would certainly make it easier.

I'm definitely going to have to get a babysitter - I can just see myself talking with people about semen with lots of curious faces staring up at me!

PJ

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Let them listen and learn. Our son is 6 and HE is the one who explains things when the kids go on the field trips to the Oil Ranch farm to see the farm animals. He knows more than the teachers do.

11. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Funny story - my children know how breeding works on the outside - but they don't really understand yet what is happening on the inside. I was telling somebody how you can flush the goats prior to breeding to help them release more eggs. My daughter pipes in and says, "sorry, sometimes mommy confuses the chickens with the goats." :D

PJ

12. Truly

Truly New Member

***My daughter pipes in and says, "sorry, sometimes mommy confuses the chickens with the goats."***

:rofl