Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering getting into AI (artificial insemination) and had a few questions. Is it expensive? Is finding a nitrogen supplier hard?
How often would you have to have it refilled with the nitrogen? Can you keep the tank anywhere (house/barn/temperature wise)?
What are the success rates of doing AI vs live breeding?
Thanks!

(Don't feel like you have to answer all my questions any advice would be helpful!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I share space in a tank with 2 friends. Contact your local AI tech as there are often people that do nitrogen routes and just come fill the tank on a timeline. Most tanks hold 60 to 90 days. I can fill the tank at the local welding supply store from empty to full for about $65.
I bought what I needed for about $150 but you can buy complete kits for $250 and up. Biogenics has a good site.
My success rates are about 90% on proven does and 50% on maiden does. I don’t even try maiden does anymore. As for the price of straws, that completely depends. I’m breeding Alpines and BoerX does in Oregon. Some of the top Alpine breeders in the nation are within driving distance so I’m not paying shipping. I am spending about $75/straw on average which is why I don’t try virgin does anymore.
The tank is good on a rubber pad or feed tub in a closed feed room or garage in Oregons mild valley temps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I share space in a tank with 2 friends. Contact your local AI tech as there are often people that do nitrogen routes and just come fill the tank on a timeline. Most tanks hold 60 to 90 days. I can fill the tank at the local welding supply store from empty to full for about $65.
I bought what I needed for about $150 but you can buy complete kits for $250 and up. Biogenics has a good site.
My success rates are about 90% on proven does and 50% on maiden does. I don’t even try maiden does anymore. As for the price of straws, that completely depends. I’m breeding Alpines and BoerX does in Oregon. Some of the top Alpine breeders in the nation are within driving distance so I’m not paying shipping. I am spending about $75/straw on average which is why I don’t try virgin does anymore.
The tank is good on a rubber pad or feed tub in a closed feed room or garage in Oregons mild valley temps.
Thank you, this helps!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts