AI Help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jbfarms, Nov 3, 2008.

1. jbfarms

jbfarms Guest

I had a buck escape and breed a couple of does that were to be AI'ed. I'm going to lute them and didn't know how long to wait after luteing them to cidr insertion? Also, wondered in anyone had opinions or insight on the 2 different AI kits Superior has, I know the only difference is the French needle gun and the All2Mate style. I attended a class of theirs this past weekend and was curious to hear what experienced AIers have to say. Thanks and have a wonderful day,

Jim

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I'm not a fan of SSW (I won't go into details here). However, given your choices, I would choose the All2Mate gun. Rumor has it that the French Needle Gun and needles/sheaths are no longer being made and once the current supply is exhausted you are out of luck.

Personally, I highly recommend the BIO Hi-Bred gun. Of all of the guns that I have used over the years, this one is the best. :)

Sara

3. Odeon

Odeon New Member

Sara,

Not a rumor. I was talking with Karen Lewis of Frozen Assets and she mentioned that the needles were no longer being made.

I personally like the Continental gun.

Ken in Idaho

4. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I use the All-2- Mate and like it a lot.

Yep, I heard the same thing about the French needles/sheaths.....they aren't being made any more.

I tried using the French needle gun, but it was awkward for me.

tracy

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:biggrin I'm not going to put my two cents in on the guns. I have my preference.

Lute the does at 11-14 days. (I do prefer to wait 14 days). When the does go out of heat-insert the CIDRs. There's two different methods~ 14 day, & 21 day. I have better luck with the 21 day pull on the CIDRs as far as getting settles. Just my opinion and $1.00 will get you a cup of coffee. :lol

If I need a doe in heat and don't really care if they settle or not...then I've used the 14 day method. Say for a buck collection, I've had AI settles and not, Live settles and not. ???
    Kaye

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yep, that's what Teresa Wade said when I asked her this spring why they weren't in her catalog. :)

Sara

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If I need a doe in heat and don't really care if they settle or not...then I've used the 14 day method. Say for a buck collection, I've had AI settles and not, Live settles and not.

I don't AI yet, but with live cover I have more trouble with the 14 day method, I will always do 21 on my Nubians. Vicki

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat Agreed!
    If I WANT that doe to conceive (live or AI) I will use the 21 day method.
    Kaye

9. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Geeze... to think I have had 100% success with the 12 day method. :)

And yes, they were used extensively (both AI and live breedings) in years past.

Sara

10. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:lol Some people are just luckier than others! Think of all those "splash" babies. :really
    Kaye

11. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Probably the only thing I get lucky at. :lol

Yeah, splash the cervix and the doe magically conceives.. uh huh.

Sara