AI gun (OK I'm a dummy)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by coso, Jan 10, 2008.

1. coso

coso Guest

Okay, I got my AI equipment out last night. Have the gun, have sheaths, have needles, have speculum. I understand the sheath goes over the gun to make it slide when you go into the cervix. The speculum goes into the vagina right up to the cervix? Then you take the gun and go through the rings and deposit the semen into the front of the uterus? I think I have all that correct? The gun only stuck out of the speculum 2 1/2-3 inches when I had the plunger end all the way forward on the speculum. Is this correct? Also what does the needle actually do. Mine are just little bitty plastic straw except just a little bigger then a needle. I ordered some empty semen straws from Biogenics this morning along with a HOW to AI Caprine book. Do I need the straws to understand how the needles work? I put a sheath on the gun and put a straw up in the gun but if I turned the gun upside down the straw fell out. Somebody enlighten me here. :help2 :/ :biggrin

2. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

The speculum goes into the vagina right up to the cervix?

Yes, if you have the speculums with the offset hole, you can actually "pin" the cervix down with it.

Then you take the gun and go through the rings and deposit the semen into the front of the uterus?

Well, hopefully :) Sometimes you can't get in that far. I had a yearling I only got through 2 rings this fall, and she took.

The gun only stuck out of the speculum 2 1/2-3 inches when I had the plunger end all the way forward on the speculum. Is this correct?

Probably, but it depends on the speculum. Are you using the one from Biogenics? It is longer than some of the others.

Also what does the needle actually do. Mine are just little bitty plastic straw except just a little bigger then a needle. I ordered some empty semen straws from Biogenics this morning along with a HOW to AI Caprine book.

The needle just makes it a smaller diameter to go through the cervix. Some people like them and some don't (I don't)
    [i]
    Do I need the straws to understand how the needles work? I put a sheath on the gun and put a straw up in the gun but if I turned the gun upside down the straw fell out. Somebody enlighten me here[/i]. :help2 :/

Yes, you do -- You mean you put the needles into the gun and it fell out? The needle has to be crammed into the open bottom of the straw after you load it in the gun. So, yes to practice loading your gun you need those empty straws. The book you ordered will help you a lot :)

Tracy

3. coso

coso Guest

Okay, I understand a little better but what keeps the needle from going into the doe? And does the semen go through that little itty bitty hole that is in the needle? I cut this from Kaye's post on the Semen Tank thread
    So does the needle stick out of the end of the gun then? If it does then I guess you would have another 2" or so sticking through the speculum. And I guess If you don't get everything just right you could push the needle into the doe? Thanks for all the help :help

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yes.

If you don't get the needle seated into the straw good, it can and does come out. You put the sheath over the needle up the neck of the gun and TWIST THE SHEATH REALLY TIGHT onto the twists at the plunger end. This binds the copper rings to straw/needle and holds things in place.

Note: before I put the needle gun into the doe, I tug gently on the needle to make sure it is not going to come out of the straw/gun.

BTW...the needle end that goes into the doe, is sterile and needs to be kept this way to prevent infections. I always handle my needles enclosed in a paper towel and NEVER TOUCH the needle by hand or to anything but the does' cervix.
    Kaye

5. coso

coso Guest

Okay, the light is finally starting to come on. I'll try it tonight. So that needle sticks out the end of the gun and then you push the sheath up tight and it tightens the end of the gun onto the needle and holds it in place, then the semen goes through that little bitty hole in the needle ? So you put the straw of semen in the gun, seat the needle into the straw then put your sheath over the gun and tighten down. Pull on the needle with paper towelled hands to make sure it's seated well then you are ready to go? :blush2 :biggrin

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Exactly right. You'll be AIing does in no time. :D

Sara

7. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

Chris.. something the book might not tell you... and this is just a little hint someone showed me.
    Take the plunger of the gun.. the thin metal that pushes the semen plug, and put a sort of a bend in it.
    not so much.. but just enough that when it is in the gun that it will not fall out if the gun is turned upside down.

8. Melissa

Melissa New Member

that's a good idea Rett. hmmm. I guess I need to get a speculum. I wondered how the light gets in to that tight of a space. Chris, thank you for starting this thread. I am really starting to get a picture of how this works! it's becoming less intimidating. and this is just talking about it. :biggrin

-Melissa

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Here we go Sara...
    I prefer the light sold by SSW. It's a long slim light that clips to the speculum and lays against the top of speculum out of your way. It's a LED light and very bright.
    There's no way you can AI without some kind of light source. You have to hunt for the cervix and watch for backwash,ect...
    Kaye

10. Melissa

Melissa New Member

yep Kaye, that's what I got. (got all the stuff I did because of you). so, ummm, do you like, look into the does back end to see what you're doing? how do you see up that far?

-Melissa

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:really I know you've got to be kidding???
    Kaye

12. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I feel so ashamed. :blush :help2
    well, I guess I kinda "new" where you looked but, really, how do you see up that far?
    -Melissa

13. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oh gosh, I am smarter than someone at least, I know what end to AI :) The only AI I did with someone breathing over my shoulder (probably looking down my shirt) did not have a needle! Vicki

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

This one's all yours Kaye. :rofl

Oh, you asked about a light source. I love the BIO-Light. I have several others and this one is by far the brightest.

The floor is yours Kaye. ;)

Sara

15. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl
    The vaginal tract is not as long as your speculum. There's two holes..........you AI in the bottom one. :sigh
    Oh, girlfriend...you REALLY need an AI class! Or at least an anatomy class.

Put your light source into your speculum...trust me, you will be able to see the cervix.
    Ok, all you other guys, get up off the floor and help me out here!!!!
    Look at a picture of lady AI'ing. http://www.biogenicsltd.com/suggestions.html
    Kaye

16. Melissa

Melissa New Member

you guys can quit laughing, :really I knew which HOLE to put it in!!! :lol :p
    what I meant was, does the speculum open up the vagina enough for you to see down/back in to the doe? how much room does it let you see? (are you just peeking with one eye or can you use both) yes, I've had more college classes than I care to admit and all the science, including Any. and Phy. up to pathophysiology (made an A thank you :biggrin) okay enough braggin. from what I picture in my head (which would get me committed if some of my family could see it) I'd have to agree w/ Kaye in that you'd want to be in a darker room if your trying to get a good look at wear your going. uh, how do you get the speculum where you want it with out the light first? is it a "just shove it in their" type of thing?

-Melissa

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Melissa, you're cracking me up! :lol

I don't AI in a darkened room or turn out the lights, etc. (Ambiance, perhaps? :laughcry) I just AI the doe on the milkstand in my milk parlour. When you look into the speculum it's not like looking through a pair of binoculars. Rather, you are peaking through with one eye. The opening of the speculum is about 1 inch at best (some are narrower). Basically you can see what you need to see and that's about it.

You guide the speculum into the doe by the angle of her rump, slowly. Usually it's very easy, but you will meet some resistance on a virgin doe.

Sara

18. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Sara, what, no lit candles, a champaign bottle chilling on ice? I bet you don't even take your does out to dinner. you just knock-um-up. oh the shaaaaame. :nooo
    okay I get what your saying on the "eye hole" and you go up/in to the doe as opposed to down/in to the doe. gotcha.

you all may laugh at me now, but when no doe will be safe from my mighty speculum!! lookout!! plus, I can almost guarantee you (I hope anyway) that someone else wanted to ask these questions but didn't have the guts. haha! I'm a hero to someone, somewhere! :woohoo

-Melissa

19. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

You sure are!!! :biggrin

20. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Thank you,Sara!

There are steps you take Melissa.
    Get all your thawing,loading gun, ect taken care of. Have the doe on the milkstand, then:
    Clean the vulva. I use my teat cleaner-diaper wipe in chlorhexaderm.
    Lube the end of speculum going into the doe. I even put some lube on the vulva after I've cleaned it.
    Grasp the tail and hold up.
    Place the end of speculum, with the smallest hole, at the vulva opening.
    Then gently insert the speculum into the vagina.
    Yes, you will get those that jump around,kick,scream, ect...but, you have patience and just stay with her.
    Or you loose your temper and get DH to put the does stomach(just in front of udder) over his thigh. Or I used "chemical restraint" on one doe, because she kicked me in the face. :twisted
    While inserting speculum use gentle forward push and follow the rump angle upward.
    When you've got the speculum in as far as it will go, doe has humped up after you pass the ??? I can never think of this muscle...what is it?, the doe will generally flatten back out and relax. Now, insert your light source, get comfortable. I sit on a 5 gallon bucket behind the milk stand. (I have a 3' long stand that's 24" tall) I'm looking straight into the vulva on most does.
    Look in until you find the cervix, then place your gun tip (or needle) at the opening of cervix. Gently work your gun through the rings, usually feeling "pops" as you go through the 5 cervical rings.
    (Tee,hee,...this sounds easier than it really is).
    Deposit semen. I pin my gun to my speculum (that's up against the cervix) and withdraw slowly. When I've got them out, I can look at how much needle is past the end of speculum and see approx. how far I was in the cervix.

Smooch the doe, and tell her you want does! I'll pm anyone that wants to know why I smootch the doe...but you can probably figure it out! :twisted :blush

WHEW..... :lol
    Kaye