AI and # of kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jimandpj, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

I am planning to learn to AI this fall. I was discussing this with someone. She said that in her experience, AI's often resulted in single births as opposed to twins or triplets.

Those of you who AI - do you agree with this? What do you do to increase the number of kids?

Thanks,
    PJ

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Perhaps I am lucky. I don't do anything 'extra' when I AI and I usually get triplets and quads. In fact, I rarely get anything less!

Sara

3. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Usually twins and often triplets. I think it has to do with the condition of your does. More eggs dropped = more kids. There's such a large amount of sperm in those little straws that it depends on the doe. And we all know it only takes 1.
    Kaye

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I wouldn't want to learn to AI from "someone" who gets singles and twins. One way to guarantee that you get conception and lots of kids is to let an older buck pack that semen in after you AI............................KIDDING!!!! vicki

5. Belle

Belle New Member

:rofl

Vicki, thats not nice! :lol :rofl

6. jimandpj

jimandpj New Member

Vicki - that was really terrible. :laughcry Someone is going to believe that and think your "kidding" is referring to the end event. ;)

The person I was talking to isn't the person that is teaching me (thankfully!). I hadn't ever heard that before, so was just curious if there was any truth to it.

PJ

7. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:rofl :rofl Very funny Vicki! You make me laugh. :biggrin

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK I know I'm old and slow but was going to pm Vicki and ask if she was serious :)

9. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Our AI matings return us the same percentage of kids per mating as our buck bred does. I agree that if someone who AIing is getting less kids than their buck bred kids they are doing something wrong.
    Tim

10. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Either that or maybe they might possibly have poor management and their does are not carrying what they should/could. I believe that might be a cause too. ??? That was something I learned just recently. Someone please tell me if I got that wrong.

11. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Uummm, I think I said that. :?

Too FUNNY, Vicki! That's like being able to tell who sired the kids with two bucks running in the pasture ~ by the color.??? :really
    Kaye

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

And Kaye and I both know that this although is funny, is management at some farms! Vicki

13. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Sorry Kaye... Oops. :blush2 Well I'm glad I understood it correctly then. Thanks :)

Kim

14. Belle

Belle New Member

I know it happens everyday, but it is just sad to me that people manage their farm in that manner!