age for determination of polled

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatmom, Mar 26, 2008.

1. goatmom

goatmom New Member

How many days old before I could be confident of having a polled Nubian kid? This would be a first for us and don't have any idea where it would have come from- in fact usually have horn buds at birth or within 3-5 days -twin doelings -9 days old today -absolutely nothing there.

thanks
    Ginger

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I can usually tell the day they are born as they dont have the swirls that horned goats have. Also their heads feel different to me too and the hair will almost stand up in a way. Supposedly its a recessive gene and can show up at any time. I have a polled buck and a horned buck nad have to remember which is bred to which.
    So far I havent disbudded any that were polled...I have heard of this happening. If you arent sure wait some more days ....doelings are a little more slower to get their buds...and then again they just might be polled.

3. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I can usually tell the day they are born. Usually they don't have the swirls on their head that horned kids do, and one some you can feel little buds, but they are round, or some have nothing at all. I have not disbudded a polled kid.
    I would wait a little while before you decided to disbud them, as doelings buds grow slower, and I have noticed that siblings of polled kids, even if they are horned, their buds grow slower - why? I donno.

4. DostThouHaveMilk

DostThouHaveMilk New Member

Polled is actually dominant, not recessive.

I can generally tell at birth if they are polled or not.
    If I suspect one is polled I simply don't burn them when I burn the others and keep an eye on them. If they get horn tips and start to grow then I go ahead and burn them.

5. Tricia

Tricia New Member

The polled gene is dominant in at least the Swiss breeds. You won't get polled kids without a polled parent.

We can usually tell at birth who's polled: without the swirls they kind of look like they've got a bad toupee on. When in doubt, we shave the area where the horn bud would be on Day 3 or so to confirm.

6. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Well -I'm just watching and waiting -our vet disbuds ours -for this service the price is really good compared to what other things cost -the only issue I have is trying to schedule them in -we had a buckling born 3 days before these little does and already had an appt for him -took the girls also and I asked him to see if he could feel anything because I couldn't-figured I might have to bring them back. I wish I'd looked closer at the hair -vet shaved both their heads and he believes they are polled..but, guess I'll know sooner or later.