Age for banding buck kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by old dominion, Apr 5, 2008.

1. old dominion

old dominion New Member

What is the best age to band a buck kid for pet purposes?

Thanks a million,

Jolene

2. I band less than 24 hours old here. Seems that they have pain when you do it that young. Its then or I wait till they are about 3 months old and use the clip cattle bander.

Ken in MO

3. We rarely band kids but a cull buckling would get banded by 1 week of age here.
    Becky

4. buckrun

buckrun New Member

We have Nubians and i don't disbud till 7 to 10 days- this is when i band.
    If you do it too early the entirety of the testicles may not be descended into the scrotum.
    My husband has butchered them later to find residual testicular tissue which is no problem if you keep them away from your does ( ours hang out with the bucks) but if you are letting them live with does or doe kids there is a small possibility of them retaining fertility.

I have a neighbor with Boers that does it at 3 days.
    Lee

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

If I am keeping a wether for a pet I wait as long as possible when I can barely shove one testicle in the band at a time I wait because somewhere I read that this allows the urthea tube to grown thus less risk of urinary calculi. However I really don't know that this is true. Just what I do.

6. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I read that also but we don't worry about it because our wethers are headed for the dog freezer when the grass dies. I think that would probably be a consideration for longevity in a pet or buck buddy.

Lee

7. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I wether in the general vicinity of 6 - 8 weeks old. I'm like Sondra, I read that the urethra could be compromised by banding too early, though I don't know this for a fact. The 8 weeks old happened when we forgot.. :~/
    Stacy

8. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I think that it was Vicki who said that she doesnt put much stock inn the idea that letting the urethra grow would help prevent UC because of the observation that adult intact bucks also get it with no question of whether enough time was allowed for that urethra to grow...

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

That is true LeeAnne, Vicki did say that and as usual she is probably right. I don't band anything that is going for meat so when I did keep a wether at one time I waited. Now many people I know that keep their kids on does until 8wks old or over always band by 8wks and many people state the growing out meat goats have better growth by banding. I just don't keep any around anymore period unless they are going to be a herd sire and I don't sell for pets ever because of bad experiences that I have had personally.

10. judyvansmith

judyvansmith New Member

I am getting some Nigerian goats for pets this month. After reading all the post on this question I am not clear on what I should do. My vet is not a "big on goats guy", he is great with my dogs but he is not up on his goats. One of the goats I am getting will be wethered by my vet while the goat is put to sleep at 8 weeks of age. Unless you tell me otherwise here.
    I had read all the post about troubles they could have if it was done too early so I ask my vet about it. My vet said it was not a real concern, he had read studies done on male cats that showed there were no differance in doing it early or later. Male cats ? I was not sure about his point of veiw there.
    My question to the list is, "If you were going to wether a goat that you wanted to live a long healthy life as a pet, when would you do it? "
    Thank you for your help,

Judy Smith

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Neutered male cats have a real problem with UC. I can't even start to tell you how many we unblocked. Tee,hee...reason the small catheters are called "Tom Cat Catheters".

If you are buying an 8 week old intact male...have it done ASAP. And with ND...I sure wouldn't want to put him in with females until it's done. They're kinda' hormone driven at any age! :lol
    Kaye

12. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Nuetering bucks can be a challenge. Waiting too long means the knife. The last one I did was a buck at 4 or 5 months old. I cut the sack and pulled out the testicles breaking (not cutting) the cord just as my Vet showed me. I did 3 of them - it was almost bloodless. Two survived, one died of shock. In the future, what can be done to prevent shock? Another breeder told me, that I should have made this one get up regularly to prevent shock. I have a burdezo that I could use on them but I believe that should be done shortly after birth and to be honest I would rather band them. However, banding usually can't be done on a buck that is 4 or 5 months old - so that makes the knife the only solution.

13. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I use the knife only on kids less than a month old, preferably closer to 7-10 days. Any older and it's too hard on them. You can use the Burdizzo on any age. Yes it is still hard on them but less risk.

I hate banding, I think it's a good way to start an infection, and it takes way too long. Cutting with a scalpel will be healed up by the time the scrotum dries up with banding...not to mention how long it takes for the withered up scrotum to fall off. I would much rather use the surgical method on a 7 day old kid then a band. As long as you are using a clean sharp knife/scalpel and keep everything clean...the chance of infection is low.
    That said....banding works for many people and it's definitely easier and less traumatic on the human.

And just for the record...the ones I've done have been pets, and they are all still around and doing fine 2, 3, and 4 years later. I think urinary calculi has more to do with diet than the size of the urethra.

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I certainly wouldn't have him put to sleep to do this for gosh sakes just doing that in itself is harmful for a goat they don't handle anthestics well at all you can band this little guy at 8wks old

15. Katarina

Katarina New Member

also much of what i have read indicates that feeding is as much to blame (if not more) than anything else in UC.

LeeAnne posting under Katie's ID from the hospital...)

16. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I do mine anywhere between 2 days and 3 weeks. and the buckling really dosen't need to be put under for this.

-Melissa

17. judyvansmith

judyvansmith New Member

Thanks for your help. I am not going to do it myself, but you have given me lots to talk over with my Vet !
    I do think I will stick with 8 weeks of age.

18. I can't imagine that a bag of bands and the appliance costs as much as one vet visit! I've used the bands on my dogs, cats, cows and goats over the years without any ill effects on any of them. (I suppose that's a matter of opinion depending upon whether your'e the bander or the bandee.)

19. judyvansmith

judyvansmith New Member

This little guy is going to be a pet. I know banding is used by many folks on farms but I do want this to be as painless as it can be. Banding has to cause pain for quite some time. I don't want to do that to him.
    You are quite right about the cost but for me the lesser amount of trauma to my little guy is what is important.
    Years ago I bought a little goat that had been banded and it took a long time to do the job, every time I looked at him it caused me pain...yes I know I am a "softie". Thanks,

20. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

When I heard that you plan to put him under for the proceedure I cringed. I have only heard bad things about goats being put to sleep....including sudden death. Yicks! I sure hope that vet knows what he is doing. Take care. Hope it works out okay for you.

-Kim