afterbirth question

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by andiplus5, Feb 26, 2008.

1. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

How long should it take the afterbirth to finish coming out of my doe? She kidded around 10:30 am and she cleaned up her afterbirth off the ground. Then when I moved her and the babies into the kidding stall she dropped the placentas on the hay and we cleaned that up. Then around 4:00 pm more stuff started coming out of her. I thought it was more afterbirth, but at 10pm it was still hanging out. When should I get worried? How long should it take for all the yucky stuff to come out?
    Thanks,
    Andi

2. lyceum

lyceum New Member

They can have post kidding discharge for several weeks after kidding. As long as she has passed the placentas, the doe is just fine. She will just have a nasty tail for awhile.

Carisa

3. BlueHeronFarm

BlueHeronFarm New Member

It's a good idea to give everyone a nice haircut on the tail before they kid.
    ...we forgot on our first doe this year. Yuck. We cut the matted hair with our hoof trimmers the other day.

Just my little helpful hint. ;)

4. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I'm a slow learner :really it took me a couple of years of clipping matted tails with the hoof trimmer, before I thought of "pre-clipping" with the clippers.. :sigh

5. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

You can usually tell the difference between the actual "afterbirth" and just plain bloody mucous/ miscellaneous discharge. It looks like an actual membrane and you can see dark patches on it where it was attached to the uterus. You can expect them to keep passing the mucous for a couple weeks, but the membrane should be done within a couple hours.

6. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

I would love to pre-clip, but the wretched ole goat won't let me near her. :crazy2 I wouldn't be able to get near her now if she wasn't in the kidding stall. And even now she will stampede her kids to get away from me in that small space. So I just leave her rear alone and I'm working on getting her to let me touch her at all. Thanks for the advice though. The yucky stuff finally fell off.
    Andi

7. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:biggrin Most of the time...things take care of themselves. :lol

I'm curious as to how you're going to milk this goat if she's that wild?? Thinking...funniest home videos here.?
    Kaye

8. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

Good idea! I think it's time to buy a video recorder. :rofl
    I intend to coax her with a little grain or oatmeal mush onto the milking stand then STRAP HER DOWN(hehe) and get out of the way til she calms down!! And I'll do it everyday until she lets me get near a teat!! Seriously, she will either learn to like it or get sold...period!
    Andi

9. Bethany

Bethany New Member

Lol, yeah I think you do need to get a video camera! :lol

10. susie

susie New Member

Try spraying Pam on her backside before she kids next time-- if you can get that close ;)
    Susie

11. andiplus5

andiplus5 New Member

:rofl I never thought of Pam! Good idea!!
    Andi