ackkk !!! was she bred afterall?????

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dq, Jan 17, 2009.

  1. dq

    dq New Member

    36
    0
    0
    ok. so doe came back not pregnant as per bio tracking. she should have been about 50 days pregnant when I pulled blood. gave her lute try to get her to cycle (had not seen a cycle since the wacky 30 day 5 day cycles, covered by the buck both times) now she appears to me to have aborted!!!! she didn't have a normal, wet tail, buck wanting, heat after the lute she has a bloody tail and back end jsut like when a doe is aborted!!!!! dangit dangit dangit. I think the preg test was wrong! this doe that I was having trouble getting bred WAS bred. then I lutelyse her and abort her. :sniffle :sniffle :sniffle I'm ticked. off here I was ready to put lead in her head because I thought she was totally useless and now I don't knwo what to do!!!!
     
  2. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    could you have miss dated before the pg test and she was less than 26 days bred? If so then it would show.
     

  3. dq

    dq New Member

    36
    0
    0
    the only way she was less than 26 days bred is if..

    1. I missed a heat. not likely, this doe was the most obvious one I have in heat. totally obnoxious, screaming pacing at the buck pen, mounting other does.

    2. she managed to breed through the fence or someone managed to escape and then go back where they belong without my noticing adn I missed a heat. never happened to my knowledge before.

    of course those things are possible but I am very on top of when my does are bred and I make it a point to check everyone daily. I just don't see how I could have missed it. and I was watching her extra hard because of her situation. I have dates on 10 does that I have no reason to believe aren't spot on. in all previous years all my dates were right. I have question on 1 doeling as to her pregnancy status but didn't bother testing because if she's not bred already I'm not going to this year because we are moving in february.

    crap. I guess I am going to start watching for a heat and do this all over again!

    I can't imagine what possible scenario would make her bleed when luted if she wasn't pregnant. is there any?
     
  4. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    don't think so but not absolutly sure of that.
     
  5. dq

    dq New Member

    36
    0
    0
    I guess the possible silver lining is that now I know she CAN get pregnant. or maybe some freakish hormonal/reproductive thing she has going on caused the lute to make her bleed. (somehow i doubt it). so I am going to wait for a heat and try to breed her again. wait 5 months and hope for babies. no preggo test just wait and see. great, now I'm going to have late almost june babies to be extra careful with. do you wanna take bets that she will have all bucks? :) at least my new house will have lots of acreage so keeping her around won't be too burdensome financially once the grass/browse comes out in the spring and I won't feel too bad in the event she doesn't produce kids/doelings. oh, why do I torture myself?
     
  6. Legend Hills

    Legend Hills New Member

    905
    1
    0
    That is a harsh bit of circumstance, but hang in there. You have the right attitude about that silver lining. So sorry you are dealing with this now. :(
     
  7. Anita Martin

    Anita Martin Senior Member

    2,792
    0
    36
    This happened to me this fall, although I didn't use the biotracking test. I never once saw any of my younger does in season, and I assumed it was due to the new yard light, so I luted them all to bring into heat, and four of them aborted! Blood on the tails, etc. Came into heat and then had wacky heat cycles for several weeks. I wasn't entirely unhappy about it as I felt they were bred younger than I wanted, except my yearling doe. She dropped a tiny fetus and became very upset and vocal for two days after. I had not used biotracking, but I had a friend who used a blood sample pregnancy test on her mare and it came up negative, but she still looked pregnant, so she had the vet out to palpate, and she was indeed pregnant. (Several months pregnant). Now the mare does not look pregnant at all and my friend fears the palpation caused her to lose the foal. I keep wishing I could use a human pregnancy test kit. We probably have different hormones or something or someone would probably already be using them..maybe they could make one for goats?
    Sorry this happened.
    Anita
     
  8. goatkid

    goatkid New Member

    2,730
    0
    0
    My goat mentor is not a fan of lute. She only uses it in certain, rare circumstances. such as a too young bred doeling, to induce a sick goat or in a goat who has not conceived for over a year. She has taught me it can make the heat cycles whacky like Anita is referring to. It didn't help the doe who wasn't able to conceive and according to things I read here, more is needed for that such as cystorellen. I know I would not lute a goat who didn't conceive when hand bred. I just run them with a cleanup buck. Personally, I think lute is a better drug to induce (when you are certain of the due date) than one for getting a goat bred. I know I wouldn't mess with it for exactly what happened to you. Good luck. I hope she'll have some kids for you this summer. Kathie
     
  9. dq

    dq New Member

    36
    0
    0
    thanks guys. it makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only one who has got false neg on an animal or accidently aborted one.goat kid- I don't like messing with mother nature unless neccessary. I gave her the lute and basically changed my my mind about the cystorellen in a come to my senses moment. my senses are gone again:) this goat already had freaky cycles so that wasn't a worry but obviously she was able to get pregnant.

    I guess in some ways now I might be glad I did it. she would have simply been put down pregnant otherwise as I trusted the preggo test. I woudn'; have found the kids or I would have found them during my informal investigative autopsy. although I probably would still be better off If I just put her down :) this is by no means the end of the story. I don't blame the testing but I will make it it a point to do further investigation or take a wait and see approach on does that come up neg unless I have other reason to believe they aren't preggo and I won't lute them, unless of course I don't want them pregnant.