Abscess??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by J-Basqo, Dec 28, 2007.

1. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Ok, heres the the story. I am not very bright!!LOL
    I have a 3yo nubian doe that I purchased about a month ago. The first day she was here I gave her an injection of BoSe.. without thinking though I automatically gave it subQ (this being my first goat injection so I gave it like I do to dogs and cats everyday at work, between the shoulder blades). 2 minutes later I realized that was not a good idea and kept my eye out for an abscess. It is been a month and I never saw one. All of the sudden though she has an abscess the size of my hand on her left shoulder blade. I didnt notice it at all until tonight. My family came out and we were playing with the goats on christmas and didnt notice anything. I soppose it is possible I just missed the early stages but it seems as though it got very large, very fast. My questions are: does it usually take this long for an injection site to cause problems?? Is is safe to leave her with her roomate and watch it?? Should I put her in my 500 dog crate and send in a sample to make sure it is not CL?
    I have a photo of her that I took a few minutes ago to give you an idea of where it is and what it looks like.
    Thanks
    Patina

[attachment deleted by admin]

2. goatkid

goatkid New Member

That is not a typical site for a CL abcess. I would guess it's either from the injection or she crawled under something and got a sliver. Sounds to me from what you have written, that you work for a vet. I'd take her there and have it checked out. CL abcesses have pus like cottage cheese. Injuries don't usually look like that. I did get some strange swelling under the front armpit where I gave a couple of my BoSe injections. They took a week or more to notice and went down on their own.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Of course she should have been tested for CAE and CL before you let her in the barn :) and I do have another theory on CL. The first abscess the goat gets will not be in the lymphnodes, it will be whereever the bacteria enters the body. Usually the neck or jaw because most CL is passed at feeders where goats put their heads through to eat. Then the bacteria sets up housekeeping in the lympnodes of the goats, and it's why blood testing is not all the answer. From that point forward you get abscess in the lymp glands only as the CL bacteria tries to get out of the goat to infect other species of mammals.

This does not look like a CL abscess at all, abscess form to burst out into the enviornment. This looks like an injury. I would leave her be, the only thing a vet can do is guess, aspirating every lump or bump is eventually going to give you a real abscess you will have to deal with with an ugly scar, asbacteria gets into the aspirateing hole. Just watch her, only if it looks like it is forming a head would I worry about it.

Now test her for CAE and CL, heck yeah! And if you haven't done your whole group nows a good time. vicki

4. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Thanks guys, I feel a little better now. When I first saw the thing last night I actually laughed and told myself I was an idiot for giving her BoSe subQ, then then I came the house and started over thinking and stressing myself out! :biggrin So I will just watch her and see how it goes. Do you know how long it will take for the ghastly thing to subside?? It is not very attractive and I would prefer it not be there permanently!LOL Will hot soaking help reduce or just bring it to a head??
    As far as blood tests go, all my heard was CL/CAE tested last year (all neg!) and the breeder tested this particular goat last year with negative results as well. I did intend on re-checking (just to be sure ;)) when I pull blood for her biotracking, I just have a few weeks left before she will be enough days bred.
    Thanks!
    Patina

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would just leave her alone. Any way she could have gotten stung by something? Vicki

6. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

No, I dont think she was stung by anything. It is pretty cold here and most things are dead or hibernating. I thought it could have been an injury caused by my LGD who sometimes plays a little rough (bad dog!) but I have never seen him bite and hematomas are usually more "watery" feeling or if sub layers are separated feel crackly from the air in between. I am pretty sure it is an abscess, it is firm but softer in the middle and pretty round shaped. She seems to be fine other wise and Ive been feeling her down to make sure she doesnt show up with any more.
    We will just wait and see I guess. Thank you so much for your input!