?? about using my Jersey cow milk to feed kids

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by doodles, Jan 29, 2008.

1. doodles

doodles New Member

I raise on a very strict CAE prevention program. I now have 2 fresh Jersey cows and hope to use their milk to help with time. They have such very high butter fat. Do you think that I could skim off the cream( for my butter :p) and then feed the left over to my kids? It should still be about 3% butter fat .

2. Bilrite Farms

Bilrite Farms New Member

We used to do this with our Jersey milk but we never skimmed it. LOL - the kids nursed so vigorously on the bottles we got butter :biggrin I don't think Jersey butterfat runs higher than a Nubian or ND.

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Won't hurt them at all. We went over to an older gentleman's place several years ago, and he had a Jersey cow running in the pasture with his goats. Several of the kids would run up and nurse the cow, just like they would their dam, and she just stood there as content as if it were a calf. They were just barely tall enough to reach her teats. It was a cute sight.

4. Truly

Truly New Member

Janie, that sounds adorable.

I told dh I need a Jersey, but don't have one yet.

5. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Wish I had taken a camera with me. My Jersey freshened in November and has 3 calves on her right now, but if I run short of kid milk, I plan to steal some milk from her calves!!! They will be ready to wean by the lst of March and we will put 4 more calves on her.

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I do both. The kids get whole raw Jersey milk with all the cream unless I need the cream. If I need the cream, I skim it first and just leave them a little cream. It has never borthered them. It raises great kids. :D

7. Ravenwood

Ravenwood New Member

I raised milk bottle babies on Jersey milk last year. They looked SO GOOD. Glossy, fat lil pumpkins. I want to raise some Nubian babies on it this year but was told I need to be sure my cows are Johnne's negative before feeding the milk to my goats.