about tattoos (updated)

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

My Nubian that's 6 months old was tattooed before I got her by someone that raises goats and knows what they are doing but I couldn't read the tattoo after I had her for a few weeks. I had her tattooed again by another goat person and now I can't read that one either. The inside of her ears are black if that makes a difference. I really don't want to tattoo her a third time.
    Any ideas on this please. :?

:eek:ops Ok Vicky, I did what you said to do with the flashlight and I wish I had posted about this first before I had the ear retattoed cause now she has two sets of tattoos :blush and you can read both of them fine with the light. I guess thats better than having a big mess of one over the other. So since I havent sent in her papers yet do I just make note of it on the paperwork I send in or do I actully need to send in two sets of papers or what :blush :crazy

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Re: about tattoos

YIKES!

Take a strong flashlight and shine it through her ear from the back into the inside, you can read her tattoo then unless done in white ink. Everytime you tatto you have to send in for a retattoo with ADGA. There is no way with the second tattoo you could have gotten into the holes of the first so you likely have a mess on your hands. You will loose GCH wins and you also can't appraise a doe with messed up tattoos. Everything in the ear must be on the paperwork even extra double readings like this. Check her with a strong light and get back with us. Vicki

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Ok, Gosh I feel bad now. So even if you send in the retatoo you can't get any Grand Champions?
    Or have her appraised. Her Mom is a 3*
    Thing is I have put off having her registered (just lazy) so if I send it in now how will that work?
    Its just the local fairs 4H that she would be showed in. Oh and it was green ink.
    I'll check out the ear today.
    Thanks

4. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

She can still win GCH and be appraised but you have to send her registration certificate to ADGA to have it revised to show that she has been re-tattooed. The form can be downloaded from the ADGA website at www.adga.org .

Did you check the ears with a flashlight before re-tattooing? Unless the ears are light colored many of my does tattooes are read by flashlight.

When you send in her registration application also include the ADGA tattoo revision form and all of the fees. Her certificate will state that she has been re-tattooed.

Sara

5. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

So what happens at a show? Do judges carry around a little flashlight lol

Is their a better way to tattoo a goat with black ears?

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Yes.

Nope. It was done correctly the first time. ;)

Sara