about minerals

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

It took forever for my feedstore to get some goat minerals in but they finally came in today. My only choice was the Purina ones so thats what I have. The bag said I could either feed it free choice or mix in a certain amount with their feed. I would like to feed free choice. Is there any chance of them over eating it at first?
    I gave some to the Lamanca and she started eating it without hesitation but would stop and do this kind of head and mouth thing kind of like a person might do if eating something sour the Nubian just nibbled a tiny bit and thats it. Anyway can they over eat it at first?
    Thanks.

2. cloverhillgoats

cloverhillgoats New Member

Mine do the same thing when you first put the minerals out. They've never "overeaten" them. I bought a couple of goats with rough skin~poor body condition and I top dressed their feed with a little every day. You can stick it to the feed with a little vegetable oil. Pretty soon they looked shiny and were in a lot better overall health. I believe minerals are VERY important. I used the Purina Minerals for two years with good results. I have since switched to the Bluebonnet Tech Master Complete from Tractor Supply per Vicki's suggestion. They are in my opinion--more complete. I love the probiotics, kelp, and yeast that it contains.

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Thank you for the info. Boy them minerals are sure $$ aren't they, Where I live they were $18.18 for a 25# bag. Is this typical for minerals?

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Jo...........I have a friend that feeds purina mins down here. I think that is about what they are paying too.

The sweetlix brand that I'm using is about 60 cents a pound.....so I think you are in the neighborhood with yours.

Whim

5. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

For the Purina minerals, thats the average price however, my goats won't eat 'em. The do gobble up the Tech Master minerals though, and that stuff is about $29 and change.. ! go figure.

6. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I quit feeding Purina because of the high salt content. It satisfies their appetite for salt and they don't get enough of the other minerals. This is not good for my goats in my location, it sounds like purina works for folks in other areas. I use Cargill Right Now Onyx. They eat it like candy and it has greatly improved their condition as opposed to the purina. And yes, minerals are generally expensive :(

7. leslieh

leslieh New Member

I stopped using the Purina minerals a long time ago. If a goat won't eat them, then it isn't doing any good. I wound up throwing away most of the bag. $$$ down the drain!

I didn't go with a "goat" mineral, but a cattle mineral. You may want to check out the tags of horse minerals and the cattle minerals. I bet you will find that they are a better mineral than the Purina goat mineral. And, most likely, your goats will eat them!

Leslie