About Milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Jun 14, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

This morning I used a milk filter for some house milk. I usually only filter thru a metal mesh coffee filter as it's just for the kids.

The milk was not filtering as quickly as I remembered. When I was done, there was a thin layer on the filter of... I don't know... I'll call it cheese. Well at least that's what it made me think of. That texture of the milk when it's just starting to curd. It's real fine and mushy. It was a very small amount, but enough to slow up my filter considerably. It didn't smell off.

So... Is this something I should worry about? If so, what should I do?

If I don't need to worry, do you know what this is? Is it unusual?

Thanx in Advance

2. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Lois, milk that doesn't filter well is often milk with a higher somatic cell count -- sometimes due to infection, sometimes to injury, sometimes due to estrus. Is this pooled milk from several does? You might want to filter each doe's milk separately to find the culprit or do a CMT test on each. I filter into a tote after milking each doe and do pay attention to how milk filters. If the problem persists more than a milking, I'll have a sample cultured so that if it is an infection, I can begin appropriate treatment.

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

CMT isn't going to tell you anymore than the milk filter did. It should be used as a tool only in your goats. Testing say every monday morning or the first of each month...change in that does milk is what you look for. If you do them routeinly and keep records you can see the change in the test that comes from heat, from the length of lactation and true illness of the udder.

I would find the culprit and send in a milk sample for subclinical staph, then treat it if you find out that is what it is. In the mean time while you wait for the results keep the udder emptier, give vitamin C on the milkstand twice a day.

Had the milk sat longer than normal? Did you change anything about how you cleaned your tote? That whole using vinegar bunk :) if you don't get it rinsed out, really washed out very very well it will start the acid raising in the milk and making cheese. Vicki

5. Rose

Rose New Member

Also.... if you ice bath the bucket like I do, the first few squirts into it freeze! Then, the cream separates, and sticks in the filter.

6. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Hi Vicki -- I just suggested using the CMT kit if that was easier to do then filtering after each doe given the physical set-up in the milkroom. Agree, it doesn't tell you anything different!

Lois -- We use chewable Vitamin C tabs and/or rosehips as a Vitamin C source.

7. Truly

Truly New Member

Thank you all so much for your input.

But I think I figured out the problem. :blush2 :blush

I think the container I used to haul the milk back to the house in had some residue from not being washed well enough. I'm so embarrassed. :nooo

When I washed it this morning I saw the residue and figured that was prolly the problem.

I will filter again tomorrow AM to make sure that was the culprit.

I feel like a blond. :sigh

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

I have also noticed on the ones that have a higher butterfat content strain slower.

9. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Thats what I was thinking! I have a nubian with really creamy milk and her milk takes longer to filter. I am glad I read this though, I was just thinking butterfat, I wouldnt have thought to watch for an infection because of filtering slow.

10. Truly

Truly New Member

I was hoping it was just a butterfat issue.

I'm so glad for all of the input. sometimes one can get focused on the wrong issue and not be able to see beyond it.