abortion.. now in heat?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by pokyone42, Mar 3, 2008.

  1. pokyone42

    pokyone42 New Member

    508
    0
    0
    We had our first ever abortion 9 days ago....we think it was from from a butting incident.........(a 3/4 Boer, and a 1/4 Alpine.. ) She was 29 days early and a first freshener...........had to get Lute, then Oxytocin from the vet cuz of a retained placenta..(-thank goodness we now have a decent goat vet, FINALLY!!.......)
    Also, she was all up to date on wormings, vaccines, etcetera.......

    We did antibiotics, a uterine flush, (before expelling, and then finally, AFTER expelling that nasty placenta 3 days later, and so we did two uterine flushes, ) B-complex, probiotics, the whole 9 yards..........

    Ashleigh is doing GREAT now, and was in HEAT already, today... JUST 9 days after aborting at 4 months along........(she was on some of the meds for 6 days.....seemed good, so took her off of them the day before yesterday.)

    It has only been 2 days since taking her off of meds..........then BINGO! She is in HEAT! (We were VERY disappointed about the abortion, as she is/was our BEST looking kid from last year..., and we were just DYING to see HER kids this year, ...... OF COURSE......, as that is the RULE among the Caprine species, I suppose...!)

    We are thinking, if all goes well, to go ahead and breed her NEXT heat., if she has one, .....as she seems just fine since losing her kids........ she is just lots sweeter now.......! We are milking her little tiny udder, (if for nothing else than just getting her used to the the milkstand...)

    Our 140 pound Ashleigh Banfield is proud as a peacock to enter the milk-room and smile as she gives her WHOLE 5 teaspoons of milk! lol.. (Gotta love her.) She is a favorire of ours...... (but...aren't they all?)

    Anyway, as long as she seems good, is it okay to breed her again next heat, if she has one?? (I am thinking YES, but am waiting to hear from you all, as we wait for the next cycle, as I do not want to rush her in her healing, etc.......AND, I am convinced the abortion was due to a ramming by the Alpine herd queen who is now in lockdown, until the other yearlings freshen...........argh......old witchy goat! ....

    Hindsight is ALWAYS lots better than foresight, huh? :S We are NOT going to breed Ashleigh now, but are thinking that August babies just might be more fun that than this 0 degree February garbage! Tell me your thoughts, please!
     
  2. Kaye White

    Kaye White New Member

    1,837
    0
    0
    With her being mostly boer...I'd think she'd cycle again in 21 days. Logic just tells me to wait until the next cycle. She's still cleaning out from the abort, plus passing the flush drugs. A settle is mighty iffy.
    LOL...I don't even breed our broodmares back on foal heats-9-10 days after foaling...even though *rumor* has it...they settle better.??? I just *think* in my demented mind...give 'em time to recoup before sticking another baby in there.
    Kaye
     

  3. pokyone42

    pokyone42 New Member

    508
    0
    0
    Thanks Kaye... I just was not too sure if the next heat would be too soon... :)