A terrible sight when I went out to the barn--early, dead quads :(

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by susie, Feb 12, 2008.

1. susie

susie New Member

I went out to feed and when I peeked in the stall there was Bonnie a 2 yr old first freshener, with a mess of babies- 2 bucklings and 2 doelings all dead :sniffle
    I tried to revive them but there was no response at all they had just been born as they were still warm. They were due exactly one month from today. What a terrible sight it was/is. I weighed them just to se if they were on track - 3 were 3 pounds, one was 3 1/2.
    Bonnie has afterbirth hanging out... It was such a mess I don't know how many placentas she passed.
    Is there anything I could have done to prevent this or is there anything that I can learn fro m this?
    Bonnie was kind of small to breed last year when we got her because she had not been well taken care of, but she is only a teeny bit smaller than the other does now.

Is Bonnie going to come in to milk now? If so, perhaps we can at least get a milking season from her.. oh I'm sure I'll think of other questions, I'm just too upset now to process them :(

Susie

2. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Oh heck. I'm so sorry.

Sheryl

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Sara told me on my doe that aborted to milk her 3 and 4 times a day and that she would go ahead and come into milk on or abt her orginal due date. Mine is increasing little by little. Just make sure that nobody has pink eye and some recommend giving tetracyline crumbles to the doe and any others that may still be pg until they freshen just in case.

4. Truly

Truly New Member

I'm so sorry this happened.

She should come into milk.

5. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Oh how sad. I have no advice to offer, just sympathy. :/

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Susie I forgot to say how sorry I am you lost the quads, boy do I know how u feel just had one abt with triplets but I know she got butted.

7. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

So sorry for your loss.

8. KUrby

KUrby New Member

I don't have any advice but am sincerely sorry you lost all your babies. I hope you doe is ok and gives you some milk this season.
    Take care
    Karen

9. Melissa

Melissa New Member

such a hard loss. so sorry.

-Melissa

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Sorry you lost the kids. I had a FF abort about 3 weeks early a few years ago and needed milk for kids. I worked with her and her production increased sufficiently that I had milk.
    Kathie

11. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

I'm so sorry Susie..... such a terrible loss and I know how you feel (never have lots babies that way tho).

Suriyah

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I'm so sorry Susie.

Christy

13. Corky

Corky New Member

I had one abort once with just a half developed kid and she had a tiny udder.
    I milked her and got maybe a cup of milk at a time and it did not increase much but then I only milked her twice a day.
    When I sold her the person that bought her grafted a buckling on her and he brought that milk production right up.

14. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I am so sorry. What a terrible thing to have happen.

Hugs,
    Anne

15. VickiLynne

VickiLynne New Member

My sympathies are with you and the doe. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

Vicki in NC

16. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Oh Susie, I am so sorry for you and your doe.. what a terrible loss. :down

17. Corky

Corky New Member

If goats are like people it was just because she wasn't big enough to carry that many yet. I doubt that you did anything wrong.
    Humans that have multiples go into early labor all the time.
    It just happens.
    Yes it is a shame but probably better for the doe.
    If she was carring 4 the first time you may have a really good goat there.
    She will be bigger next year and probably will have no trouble at all. :D

18. susie

susie New Member

Thank you guys for the kind words!

Today Bonnie is still upset there's a big pile of afterbirth in the stall, I'll go gout and check it out to see how many placentas it is.
    Hubby and I talked about it last night, wondering if we should keep her and see what happens next year -- since she's 2 yrs old and we haven't gotten a kid fom her yet ... is it likely she'll have troubles again or is it just a fluke this year? This would have been the first time to have more than twins, maybe twins are just more of a sure thing? Although as I typed that I was reminded that i had a stillborn baby at 6 months pregnant, sometimes it just happens.

So the question is what to do with her-- we really don't want to milk her 3-4 times a day right now, we weren't planning on milking for 3 weeks or so... ( really want to go to the goat conference, since we haven't gone ANYWHERE in so long) I think I could graft a baby onto her, if I can find a baby quick enough.. O/w hubby thinks we should sell her, since she's not "pulling her weight"... I , being more emotionally based ;) say, well it's not her fault... maybe next year she'll pull it off... but still , she hasn't contributed a thing, except last year she was a real good 'babysitter" for the kids... hmmm, any thoughts?

Thanks for listening,
    Susie

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Than don't milk her and breed her back right now. If she won't recycle naturally in your area in 6 to 8 weeks, CIDR her in 4 weeks. It would also give you time this next 4 weeks to find a CIDR for sale and purchase your PG600 from QCsupply.com etc.. It's not an expensive protocoal and it works really well. I wouldn't cull a doe for something like this, unless you just don't like her.

Sorry about this happening, nothing you could have done. Vicki