A question about one of my doelings, should I just put her down?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by farm mom, Apr 24, 2008.

  1. farm mom

    farm mom New Member

    74
    0
    0
    So, my FF Saanen had a doeling three days ago. I thought she was due in late May/early June (just purchased her from breeder in Feb. and was told that was due date). Doeling ate well the first day, then barely ate for the next 18 hours, then began to eat pretty well again. However, this doe cannot stand up. Her front legs will not straighten all the way at the "knee." Muscles seem almost atrophied. She has raspy breathing and was laboring to breath for most of yesterday and then got a bit better last night but not completely. Breath still sounds rattly. She received colostrum after birth (although mom had not had pre- birth vaccinations since I didn't think she was due yet), probios, and selenium/Vit E. Mom was copper bolused last month but could it be from copper deficiency? Am planning on selling her if she recovers but I don't want to put a ton of time into her if it is hopeless. She is keeping herself upright in the proper sleeping position.

    Also, mom freshened with a very small bag and is milking only a couple of cups which surprised me since she is a Saanen and comes from really good milking lines.
     
  2. whimmididdle

    whimmididdle Guest

    I can't tell you what to do, but with baby's , I give them about every chance that I can to live. Now, if I detect that they are in pain, or there are permanent damage to their system, then I put them down right then. If I've done all that I can to save one, and they die painlessly in their sleep, then I feel I've done about all that can be done.

    JMO Whim
     

  3. LMonty

    LMonty New Member

    442
    0
    0
    I'd give that baby 1/2 cc Bo-Se and wait a couple of days before making a decision.
     
  4. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    per Kaye and what happened to me if a kid is that premature it won't live no matter what you do but I at least try. Their lungs aren't developed to continue to breath and live and colapse on them. I just wait and see. but mine didn't live 24 hrs.
     
  5. goatkid

    goatkid New Member

    2,730
    0
    0
    Your doe was obviously bred earlier than the seller thought or the baby wouldn't be alive. It sounds like she is a bit early and if she were mine, I'd keep working with her. I gave a shot of dex to a preemie kid to help with lung devopment. A couple weeks ago, I had a rattly kid. I gave her Excenel and she was still rattly, so the vet had me switch to Nuflor and she cleared right up. She may have gotten rattly if you were trying to get her to eat when she didn't want to. It's good that she is now wanting to eat. With these weak babies, I work with their legs and help them to stand. Good luck. Kathie
     
  6. Kaye White

    Kaye White Guest

    1,837
    0
    0
    If that baby is 3 days old....and still alive, then her lungs have developed enough to give her a chance. Give her the Bo-Se and continue to massage the knee/fetlock joints and encourage her to stand.
    A touch of dex for the lungs...2/10ths and unless you see other complications with the lungs (gets more congested or has nasal discharge) then I would start the Naxcel. (I prefer Naxcel to Excenel in babies.)
    Kaye
     
  7. farm mom

    farm mom New Member

    74
    0
    0
    This doeling is still alive. Finally got some Bo-Se from vet today and gave her 1/2cc. She sucked much better tonight on her bottle and stood up on her own for the first time. Raspy breathing is almost gone but she is still much more weakly than my other kids. How often should I give the Bo-Se? She is still shaky when standing and very knuckled over in the knees and unable to straighten them. I have been massaging them each time I bottle feed her and helping her to stand assisted.
     
  8. LMonty

    LMonty New Member

    442
    0
    0
    Ive been taught they usually respond to Bo-Se in 24-48 hrs IIRC, so the improvement you see by 48 hrs max is the amt of visible improvement that dose will give. Since she appears to have responded well but still is weak, if it were me, I'd give another 1/4 cc, then reevaluate in 24-48.

    Then I'd evalaute my herd and see if they have more selenium or vit E deficiency than I realized, and this baby was the "canary in the mine" that pointed it out to me. I'd look at my minerals and see if I need to change them to higher values or add additional vit E and selenium. I'd see if there was some factor that might be affecting absorbtion- like galvanized water pails, high mineral and iron content in the water, low vitamins in my hay.

    Realizing she came from another herd, it could be the conditons there that caused her to be deficinet, but I'd still look at mine to make sure I wasnt low too and that may have tipped her over the edge. I'd give that doe 2 cc of Bo-Se right away, because I'd figure the doe is most likely deficient too, if she wasnt the baby wouldnt have had the problem to begin with.

    I'm glad shes still with you, Tiffany, you did a good job keeping her going and getting the Bo-Se.
     
  9. farm mom

    farm mom New Member

    74
    0
    0
    Thanks. I do give Selenium/Vit E five weeks before delivering and two weeks before but this doe did not get it since I thought she wasn't due until June. We are selenium deficient here. I will give the doe a shot today. The doeling seems almost weaker this morning. Didn't take the bottle as well or even attempt to stand up. I will give her a little bit more, re-evaluate tomorrow, then put her down if she doesn't respond. Certainly can't live life laying down. The funny thing is I had a doe that I bought a few years ago from this same lady, out of the same line, whose first baby had the exact same problems as this one and had to be put down. Never had a problem with her since then.
     
  10. Anita Martin

    Anita Martin Senior Member

    2,792
    0
    36
    How have the sellers other does done with kidding on that farm? Did you get to see any of the babies while you were there? Did they look healthy? It sounds like the does came to you with problems. I wish you tons of luck with your little one.
    Anita
     
  11. farm mom

    farm mom New Member

    74
    0
    0
    I have not seen any of the newborn kids there, only a few older ones. We just got her in March so we didn't have much time to change her diet before kidding. I really like this lady but am not planning on buying anymore goats from her. The doeling is doing a bit better. She is standing on her own, took a few steps, and only wants to eat the bottle standing up (which I help hold her up so she doesn't get to worn out). Her front legs are still really messed up. The can not straighten, bend at almost a 90 degree angle. I gave her a little more bo-se tonight, if her legs would fix I think she would do fine. I'll give her a couple more days and see how it goes.
     
  12. Shykid Acres

    Shykid Acres Guest

    Leg splints might be in order. Just a thought. Glad there is improvement.
     
  13. farm mom

    farm mom New Member

    74
    0
    0
    Don't know how to go about leg splints. Any thoughts on that? I don't even plan on keeping this doe but, darn it, she is trying so hard to keep going I want to give her a chance.
     
  14. Shykid Acres

    Shykid Acres Guest

    Hand towel or wash cloth wrapped around leg, put a paper towel tube cut lengthwise on either side to the height desired, wrap with tape.

    The above is the cheap, and still quite effective way. The other option if you want to pay for it, is to get padding, (soft but stands up) and put vet tape around it to hold it on.

    I am sure there are many ways to make a splint. You want the leg(s) to be able to breath, not sweat, but still be held firmly. Hope this helps.