A Purina representative...

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madeleine M., Feb 23, 2008.

1. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

spoke at my 4H meeting this morning. He said that Purina goat chow is a complete feed, and that mixing it with alfalfa pellets and beet pulp and BOSS dilutes the nutrients. We have only been feeding goat chow at all since the does are over 100 days bred.

Should we assume he is only interested in selling more goat chow, or are we really doing something wrong?

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

That said I don't feed chows ..to expensive and to much junk in them. Feed whole grains and a good mineral along with alfalfa and in the end you will save money and have healthier goats .

Patty

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I fed purina when I first got into goats (many years ago) then found out they got fined here in TX for putting it thru a grinder that had animal parts in it. part of the mad cow thingy that was banded in the US going into meat or dairy animal feed. Have never bought Purina again and NO I wouldn't consider it a complete feed there are other feeds that say this also. I don't use chows either I mix my own grains.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Does the ingredient list say, whole oats, whole barley, whole corn ? etc. or does it say grain byproducts? "whatever they scrape off the floor"

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Nothing is more irriatating than that to me. How many goats does this guy milk? So why are you listening to him :)

Nothing infuriates me more than breeders recommending to new folks to use this or that with no real understanding. Doe-Lac is really popular around here, and has a photo of a very popular herds doe on the label. To this product she adds BOSS, Beet Pulp, Calf Manna and oats. So is that product so inferior that she is adding fat, claicum roughage, protein and minerals and carbs to it? So then why not just feed boss, beet pulp, calfmanna and oats? isn't she just really feeding that and top dressing the Acco Doe-lac? Yes.

And isn't this exactly what you are doing to your Purina Goat chow. Improving upon a hugely expensive product that contains way too much molassas, and not enough grain and nowhere enough calcium in the calcium carbonate and sulfate in the bag.

Back in the 90's I was on a test for them...feed a bag get a bag for free, my milk numbers plumeted, and that was back when I was feeding sweet feed and grass hay. And even I the penny pincher, broke the contract and took the herd off Purina Goat Chow.

You would be soo much better halving the Chow with oats, then 1/4ing it, then doing away with it for good...you can still bolster the oats with the beet pulp and Boss if you like. Alfalfa pellets is alfalfa hay, it is not a grain. It should be the backbone of your feeding program. Vicki

7. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I know for sure I don't trust Purina Goat Chow. A few years ago, a salesman from a feed store drove by my place and saw that I had goats. He offered me a good deal on goat chow if I bought what he had left. He said they had ordered it and then there weren't enough goat people to buy it. I bought something like 10 bags of it and added it to my grain mix. One day my goats were out grazing in the yard and one of my favorite does got into my garage. She helped herself to some extra Goat Chow. This wasn't half a bag or anything close to that maybe one or two scoops worth at most. The next day, I lost her to what I believe to be either entero or acidocis. I know if it had been dry COB she'd gotten into it wouldn't have killed her. It had to have been all that molasses or something else they put in it. I won't buy it anymore. Kathie

9. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Ok, we've mixed our own, fed a complete pelleted feed, mixed our own again and now are feeding a complete grain mix, so you could say we have done it all. When someone new asks what can they feed I usually tell them that Purina makes a pretty good feed (I used to sell feed and can read a feed tag). They are over priced, molasses does hide sins, but all in all for someone who doesn't know anything about feed it is a good place to start. And it is available almost anywhere where as it can be hard to find some ingredients to mix your own. So I do believe there is a place for Purina Goat Chow, I am not a big fan of them either but at least they are recognizing goats as animal worthy of being fed a proper diet. It meets the goat's basic nutritional needs, but if you want more production you need to add to it.
    We feed a complete feed right now because it is formulated for lactating does and is very palatable because of the steam flaked corn. We top dress beet pulp and that is all. I do not have time to be mixing my own feed for 30+ adult animals several times a week (while we are busy milking does and feeding kids) so find that the added convenience is worth it. We do mix our own feed during gestation.
    I agree wholeheartedly when Vicki says that hay is the backbone of your feeding program.
    Tim

10. Melissa

Melissa New Member

not just any hay Tim, alfalfa hay or pellets.

-Melissa

11. OK....a bit off of the topic...but why do goat people look SO far down on top quality grass hay? I am not talking about fescue cut at late bloom stage in the heat of the summer. But, early ryegrass, orchard grass all cut at or before boot stage.

I know that the Ca level is lower in the grasses at times. But, Ca is cheap in to put in mineral. I just find it odd that people will shove all this 20 to 26% alfalfa down a goat. Then wonder why she takes a turn for the worse in a heat beat. They are rumeniants...they to have long fiber. Or you will not get a good rumen mat...thus, faster passage of the feeds. If you would feed some grass along with alfalfa then you will get a high milk production since the rumen is in a steady state.

Just a thought

ken in mo

12. steffb

steffb New Member

That is exactly what my vet told me.
    Perhaps the difference is in location. I am in NY.

13. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Ken....I believe that long stem fiber is important too. I know that in some amount of time, that all this stuff looks the same after being on the inside a while.
    My vet (who has raised goats) says that long stemed fibers included in a goats diet, promotes more cud chewing....and this "more" promotes a healthier digestive system in a goat or any other rumin animal.

Now, I guess my question would be this.....if this stands true and reasonable thinking, just how much more benefit to the person buying the feed(s).....goat eating the feeds.....production in the milk pail, or possible avoiding health related problems, do you actually get from having this long stem fiber as a % of their daily diet.

That, I don't know....but I do know this. It all turns into these little dark colored pills that I plant around my rose bushes, fruit trees and such....and they like em all.

Whim

14. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I know that some of the people who feed all their alfalfa in pellet form also have acreage for their goats to browse, so the animals to get other plant material to stimulate the rumen. My goats are mostly dry lot fed, so I feed alfalfa hay in addition to pellets and also have some native grass hay available if the goats need it. What I find is that if my goats have tummy upsets, they want the grass hay, but otherwise prefer the alfalfa hay. The grass hay is mostly fed to the bucks. Kathie

15. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I feed about 50 lbs of Alfalfa pellets to 20 does once a day. Everything else they get is browse and good grass hay. I like feeding brome hay the best but I've had to go to a decent orchard grass in the last month. This time of year its all hay as there is no browse. I wouldn't be without the good grass hay. They go through a lot of it and look great.

16. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

So can someone tell me if you feed alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay, is that too much alfalfa? I feed alfalfa pellets now and was going to try and get alfalfa hay this hay season.

Wendy

17. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Alfalfa overdose ? I don't think so in the sense that you are speaking of. May hurt an old piggy doe who might over eat it, without being used to eating it.........but still even then, I think the percent of problems overall would be very very low.

JMO......Whim

18. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

But if you can get good alfalfa hay and have the way to haul and feed it properly, why feed the pellets?? :?

19. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

I agree, pellets are dried further and then pelletized which has to break down some of the nutrients. During lactation we feed mostly alfalfa with some brome grass, and during the first part of gestation they will get primarily brome grass (along with a grain for their energy requirements).
    Tim

20. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I feed alfalfa hay and some pellets. I like the pellets because of the zero waste factor. I have nice feeders and they still mange to pull the hay out and stomp on it! *sigh*