a late introduction

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, Dec 19, 2007.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

I realized today when I could no longer read Off Topic posts, that I have never posted an introduction. (I tend to lurk more than post, I'm kinda shy and don't really like calling attention to myself....)
    My name is Donna, I am 40 years old and finally decided on what I wanted to be when I grew up- a goat farmer! I live with my boyfriend in the piney woods of East Texas. We bought some LaMancha babies this past spring from Emily Dixon, and away we went!
    I am a veterinary technician with 14 years experience, mostly in emergency medicine. I am currently working part-time at the local emergency clinic, to make sure that I have access to veterinary care when needed.
    I joined this forum because I want to make sure that I provide the proper care for my goats, and from what I have read, I am in the right place.

Besides goats, my other interests are: raising rabbits, chicken and quail; studying animal nutrition- I feed my dogs and cats a raw diet; and selling books and vintage magazine ads on eBay as a supplimental income.

This forum has already helped me with some medical problems in the past year. I hope to be able to come out of the woodwork and post more, maybe make some friends here.

Donna

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Welcome Donna! It's good to have you. :D

Thanks for posting an introduction!

Sara

3. Oregonian Chick

Oregonian Chick New Member

Welcome donna:). Good to see friendly new faces.

Justine

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey Donna thanks for the intro. now Lynn is out in your neck of the woods and so is someone else starts with a B but can't remember right off. I am just outside of Ft Worth. How wonderful to be associated right with a Vet now just train him up in the right way:)

5. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

I work with about 10 different vets on a rotating basis.....

.....unfortunately, when I bring up the topic of goats, I get the same response.........

their nose wrinkles up and they take a step backward! grr......at least I have access to the microscope, and my dogs and cats will directly benefit from my employment there.
    Not to mention, the paychecks are being saved for a milking machine. My boyfriend has been milking all his life and can milk out a goat in just a few minutes.......I am still in the "building-up forearm muscle stage"....

6. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Welcome to the board!
    AND DRUGS!!! I love it when I say, "do you have this,this, & this?" And the reply is either, yes, or I can get it! With your experience I can name several different drug names and hopefully the clinic will have one of them! :biggrin
    Kaye

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome and surely with your back ground you will have something to add! Plus it's no fun to lurk...East Texas here also, but likely way south of you. Vicki

8. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

I am not too far from Lynn, I spoke to her once on the phone- answered her ad on the local "swap shop" radio show about mini-manchas.

I am a yankee transplant from Pennsylvania; I miss PA a lot, but East Texas is nice, especially way back here in the woods. I've been here for a year now, and have crossed paths with 3 rattlesnakes so far. Snakes and fire ants...........except for these nasties, East Texas is lovely!
    Donna

9. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Hi Donna,
    I was lurking like you said you were till I read your post, so I'll say welcome to you also. Now about those fire ants, we're overrun with them here in Mississippi! They're the worst thing ever. Have you ever tried Absorbine Jr. Horse Linament on fire ant bites? Really helps take the sting out of them. I always seem to get my feet in a nest of them. Couldn't tell you how many time I got bite by them this summer!
    Tamera

10. Josie

Josie New Member

Welcome!! Sounds like you have a great and very exciting job! You'll have to weigh in on the emergencies that get posted... :)

11. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

12. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Hi Donna! & Welcome to Texas :crazy Yep, fire ants & rattle snakes.. gotta love it. :rofl Welcome to the forum, so glad your no longer lurking! :biggrin

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Oh remembered it is Belle Star Linda who lives out there somewhere close to you too.

14. teddybear

teddybear Member

Welcome to the Forum! There are some nice folks here! They've made me feel very welcome and I don't even have any goats! Don

15. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Hi Donna, welcome to the forum, I'm glad you posted :D

Christy

16. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

:welcome Donna. Nice to meet you. You really have such a nice job. I hate snakes and ants.

17. Terry

Terry New Member

Hello and :welcome, Donna.
    Terry

18. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

I will have to try that- I wish I had a dollar for every nest of fire ants I stepped into this summer. I never get just one or two bites, either! The worst was the time I went swimming in our pond- left my shorts on the pier, and when I put them back on- forgot to look inside first! Talk about 'fire'!

19. teddybear

teddybear Member

I am so happy that we don't have those nasty critters in northeast Kansas. Sometimes living up north does have an up side. The thought of being bitten by them sends a chill up my spine. Don

20. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Hi Donna - welcome to the forum!