A fun question out of curiosity....

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Legend Hills, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:whatdoyouthink Just a fun question out of curiosity... Testing or not...how far along in the gestation can you visually or by feel, tell that a goat is pregnant? My girls are two months along as of this week. They are very poofy with their winter fur and not far enough along to tell, but.... I'm curious about all of your personal observations and thoughts on the matter.

2. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

4 - 4 1/2 months bred and I can start to notice kids in them. Have never really been able to look at the back end and tell if they are bred or not... Guess some are born with the skill to look at her rear and tell ;) :D I see you raise Alpines they are the hardest for me to tell, I have a doe due in a month and still can't tell.

3. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I can usually tell when they are about 3-4 months along by sight. I have 2 alpines that I can tell are bred by sight. One I cannot, but I know she is because of Biotracking results.

4. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

I am new to goats, but I bought two bred Kinder does at the end of October. They kidded about 60 days later (about 1 1/2 weeks ago) and the difference between how they look now (not pregnant) and how they looked when I got them (about 3 months along) is huge. But being around them every day from the beginning, I imagine that the changes would be very gradual and it would be harder to tell. The previous owners could tell that they were getting bigger, though. Being Kinders, they are half Pygmy (the other half is Nubian), so I imagine it's easier to see than on a standard size goat...fewer places for those babies to hide!

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Around here, it depends on the doe and how many kids she's carrying. Miracle and Melia, who are due in 6 weeks have looked pregnant for a while now. Evette and Arwen, due in March also look preggers. These are all does three years and older who will likely have triplets. Cozette, my coming 7 year old varies depending on how many kids she has. Right now, it isn't real obvious, and she may have slipped her pregnancy when she was off feed a while back (no discharge, but she was early bred). I haven't seen her cycle since and I have a cleanup buck in the pen, so my guess is she may be carrying a single. With the younger does, I usually can't tell for sure until about 3-4 weeks from kidding, when they fill out and start making an udder. As for feeling babies, I usually can't feel them until the last week or two. Kathie

6. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I can visually tell a goat is pregnant at 28 days... by visually reading the Bio Tracking report. :rofl

Sara

7. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

:yeahthat :rofl

Depending on the # or size of the kid(s) it's pretty easy to tell at ohhhhh, about 4 1/2 months! Or when they are wide enough to take up two spaces at the communial feeder. Couple of older Obie does?? pretty darn easy...they look like 35 gallon barrels with legs and waddle everywhere they go. But, they're due the 1st of Feb.
    Kaye

8. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

I'm not very experienced, this only being my second year of kidding, but so far I've noticed my alpines getting bigger in the barrel at around two months along. By three months, it was/is pretty obvious that they are either pregnant or getting very fat in the stomach. And when they walk by me while we are both going into a doorway at the same time, and they forget they are wide as a house and knock me down...then it's pretty certain.

9. You can't be *sure* unless you test.
    But mine start getting slower and sleepier almost right away. About 2 months bred most does start rounding and deepening a little. However most really start to balloon out and really show at 3.5 to 4 months. I have a couple does now that are so big they are waddling.
    Becky

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nubians I can't tell hardly til last week or two MM oh my you can tell at 3 months some times talk abt barrels.

11. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Oh I don't know, when you can feel those babies having a party in there, it's pretty certain :)

12. KingsCoGoatGuy

I have never tested and we haven't missed a kidding yet. I would love to get them tested so I know the Boers are bred, but we aren't lucky like you American breeders... I need to go ask the vets where we might be able to send blood in Canada... By any chance anyone know of a place? Long shot I know. :( I know the vet college in PEI used to do the CAE tests but now everything gets shipped out western Canada way. I have looked into getting it into the USA, I am better to wait the 5 months and risk missing a kidding. :)

13. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

:rofl Couldn't resist, could you?

EDIT: Thanks for your insights and experiences. It is fun and enlightening to read them. Keep them coming. Mine are only two months along and I can only "guess" about one of them, maybe two. Because they look a tiny bit rounder. Could be poofy hair. Could be they are eating more. So I guess we wait or test. We'll probably wait and not test this year as we will NOT be breeding at this time anyway. So if one or more did not "take" when bred, they will just have to wait for next season.

14. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Nope. :)

I guess I have been doing this so long that I just don't get excited when I see fat, pregnant goats. Now don't get me wrong, I love the excitement that comes with seeing a new generation of show winners, but I hate the work that goes with it!

Sara

15. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Yup. I was so nervous about mine getting bred at all this season that when they finally showed signs of heat I bred them. Now ALL of them have due dates within a seven day period. Boy was I dumb! I'll definitely regret that decision when the time comes. I'll be so busy, might as well make a giant catchers mitt and sleep in the hay beside them. :crazy : Last year I only worried, and went crazy, over ONE. Now I have SIX to drive you all nuts with. :rofl Can hardly wait to start the insanity.

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My big calander I write my life on has two halves for each month. I turned it over yesterday to find "does 100 days bred" written on it this week...OMG!!!

No other time than when bred do my nubains dig nests into the straw, nor do they sing. That groan exhale they do with every breath starts up right when the does are 100 days bred, no singing, not bred. vicki

17. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Penny and Baby girl do the moaning, especially Penny, but Jodi doesn't make any noise. She used to be the one that hollered horribly, but that has faded, and she is quiet now.

18. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

That is very interesting. I'll have to keep an ear out for any moaners "singers" when mine are 100 days bred. :) Perhaps I'll hear some "music" at that time. I hope so.

19. KingsCoGoatGuy

My moaner isn't due until late March this year... Kinda doesn't feel like kidding season without being sure she is still carrying her kids from 20 feet away! (tin lets lots of noise through ;)) I guess I will have to get used to it, she will be leaving for a new home this spring...

20. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

Several of our Boers have sea serpents in their overly large (4 wide from side to side) stomachs. Those are easy to tell!

Dry yearling Tatsinda (Saanen) had sea serpents several days ago and kept trying to run away from them. She'd stop and look back at her stomach with a puzzled expression and then run again when they would start swimming again. Hilarious! She's bred!

But to stay on topic, that "matronly" look at 4 months of age...although a few of my does are so deep that they just don't look pregnant. Thank goodness for Biotracking!