A doe year: 21 out of 27 - Pics of Sables now

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by wheytogosaanens, Mar 11, 2008.

1. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

We don't mean to brag (ok, so we do - we're delighted!) but we are definitely having a doe year.

6 new kids today (2 sets of triplets) - 5 does and 1 buck.

Our Saanen total for the year is 9 does and 1 buck.

Of course we have 8 left to kid, so maybe our numbers will average out. But sure is a nice way to start!

Oh and our Sable doe had triplet does (I could have used 6!). One black sungau, One with black facial markings and a big black stripe down her back (and they usually darken as they get older) and one with black ears and a charcoal colored face. We'll see how they change as they get older.

Camille

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Re: A doe year

Camille send me a picture of the Sables .. or post it . I would love to see them.

Patty

3. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

yeah yeah post the sables don't they sound pretty!

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Now is a Sable an Alpine Doe bred to a Saanen buck or a Saanen doe bred to an Alpine buck? Not sure what a Sable is. I know I've seen pictures of them and they look like Alpines to me. Pretty Colors.

5. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

A sable is a saanen with color. Here is a question, what if a sable has a pure white kid would it still be a sable or a saanen.

6. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

no, no not the dreaded sable argument again. A sable is a Saanen by blood with color. , if a sable has a pure white kid, I think they are grade or experimental, but not bumped right back in "Saanen " books

7. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

ok, I just never knew how that worked.

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Which makes no sense to me ...but what do I know . Same blood only difference is color . go figure.

I am hoping for some Sables this year .

Patty

9. Harmony Goats

Harmony Goats New Member

I think sables would be pretty cool to have. Apparently I will be starting in saanens. One of the does that my mom bought was half lamancha half saanen (she is pure white with one black spot on her hip). Well the person had all of her goats ( mostly saanens) running with an alpine, nubian and 2 saanen bucks. well that lamancha cross had 2 white does that looked like purebred saanens. So Since we're keeping them we will get them bred to a saanen later on.

10. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I've heard that if you cross any breed with a Saanen...the kids will be white. Is that true in your experience?

11. wheytogosaanens

wheytogosaanens New Member

No, the kids are not automatically white. The white color is dominant but if you were guaranteed white, we would never have Sables.

As far as a white kid to a Sable doe (or buck) it is classified as experiemental and shown in the grade classes. You have to register it Saanen grade or Sable grade and then "breed up" to an American Saanen or Sable. The irony, of course, is that
    they are already 100% Saanen!

I will take pictures of the kids. Whether I overcome my "gee I don't know how to post pictures" thing remains to be seen! :)
    I know how to e-mail pictures (someone pat my pointy little head :) )

Camille

12. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Re: A doe year Now 12 out of 14

So far I have 100% doelings too. Well, 3 for 3. A set of twin doelings and a single doeling. I have my third doe fixing to kid, maybe today, I'm watching her. She is a 3rdF and has only given me bucks in the past...so a doeling from her is highly desired...we'll see.....then after that, 7 more does to kid.

13. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I have 100 % doeling born here on the farm also !!! All 1 of them.

Camille email me the pics and I will post them. Email 1 at a time...slow dial up

forbesfarm@msn.com

14. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

So they are full blood Saanens, but they have a color gene? Both Dam and Sire are Saanen? Oh... I thought the Saanens were crossed with an Alpine to get the color. Ughh... shows how much I know about them.

15. Jennie

Jennie Guest

Were not having to bad of a yr.
    9 does
    5 bucks
    (counting the boers)

16. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Re: A doe year Now 12 out of 16

:woohoo​

Yeah for DOES!​

I'm hoping for all of you to have many more! :biggrin

-Kim

17. Corky

Corky New Member

I have the exact thing here. twin does and a single doe and one due to kid at any time.

18. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Re: A doe year Now 16 out of 19

One of Camille's Sables

[​IMG]

19. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Re: A doe year Now 16 out of 19

Another

[​IMG]

20. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member