A couple of questions - Mini-Nubians

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Brit.Tex, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Brit.Tex

Brit.Tex New Member

I have triplet Mini-Nubian sisters (there was a buckling to round out the three but he's long gone :D)

One has kidded twins very well. She looks good and we are now milking her. BUT - she's only giving us about a half cup of milk in 20 minutes of milking. She's very good on the stanchion, but half a cup???

Her teats are TINY as well. Is this really worth it? I must mention here that she sneaked in to visit the buck rather early - she was only five months old when she was bred, though we didn't know she had! She will be one year old in March.

Now, on to her sister. This girl has been running with the buck since October, when we let him in to breed the other does we have. We have due dates on them (though one has a month to go and looks as if she would burst.) There was no way to keep her away from him, short of imprisonment.

Yet she does NOT appear pregnant in any way. She's the picture of a healthy goat, but not a pregnant one. My goats that have a month or more to go "look" pregnant. I'm not sure what question to ask, I think it's more like two or three.

If she isn't pregnant, (in other words, no kids appear by the end of March) does that mean that she isn't likely to ever GET pregnant?

Could that mean she's hermaphroditic?

Is it worth waiting another year to see if she ever breeds?

LOL... ok, I'm ready.. give me your best shots on these questions.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well if your comparing a bred M Nubian to a bred ND there is no comparison. Nubians don't show pg like other goats even my full bloods don't appear pg by looks until the last 30 days they carry babies low not wide. If your doe isn't pg then have her ckd out by a vet to see if she is a Hermaphrodite.
    As for the other one not producing that could be her young age or what your feeding or even the history of the parents.
    so first off what are you feeding her? she needs all the alfalfa pellets she will eat or at least 3lbs per day. At least my mini's get that year round. plus grain. and grass hay
    first thing is I would make sure she is has that alfalfa and give her some cmpk drench and see if she improves in production. BComplex and probios also if no increase then I wouldn't waste my time. she should be milking at least a pint twice a day unless the twins are still on her.

3. Brit.Tex

Brit.Tex New Member

Ok - we are feeding her as much alfalfa pellet as she can eat (I know because she leaves just a bit) - she has no competition for her feed as the other goats are kept away from her. She also gets corn/oats/sunflower seed, occasional beet pulp, and coastal hay available at all times as is water. In addition, she is turned out with the other goats for around eight hours or more per day in a mixed wooded/pasture area. Of course, there's very little to browse, but they do spend time looking and munching something.

The kids are not on her for the time she is put out, of course, and we milk her when she comes in. I realize that eight hours would not produce a pint of milk, but I'd expect a cupful... so I did wonder just whether this was pointless. Her mother, an Nubian, produced a gallon a day! I've seen other mini's from the same combination of parents, and they had lovely udders that had decent teats to milk. This girl has tiny skinny teats about as long as the last two joints of my little finger.

I did read that maximum milk production is reached from the 6th to 8th week, so think I may hang in that long and see if she gets going. Otherwise, as you said... there's very little point to this! Milking can be a chore - but it shouldn't be a hardship.. LOL!

I read on other messages on the board how to check for hermaphrodism in the doeling that doesn't appear to be pregnant. Her sister DID show for over a month though - and our Alpine also shows who isn't due until the end of February. I am SO hoping her sister is just not an early "show-er" and that this is all that's going on, I sure had/have high hopes for these two. (And they are so beautiful.. wah!)

Thank you for the response Sondra!

Brit.Tex aka AutumnSpryte aka Deb

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I would guess the doe isn't making alot of milk because she is so young. Some of my FF do not come up in thie production until they are a couple months fresh, and they still don't make as much as the older does. Sherri, a full size Nubian only gave me about 2 cups of milk her first freshening (no kids on her). Her second freshening, she milked over a gallon a day. If this were my little goat, I wouldn't milk her. If she's not producing much milk, her twins probably need what she's making. I'd still bring her in to eat her grain and keep her trained. I'd milk her when I wean the babies. Next year, I'd guess she'll be making more milk.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OK well with kids on her don't think you can expect much more from her this young. Now when I leave kids on the dam and milk I take the kids away at night and milk first thing in the morning thus it is at least 12 hrs and sometimes more. Therefore your getting more milk. in the day time really the kids themselves need more milk as they don't do much at night so this is why I always remove them at night. This doe also may be holding back milk for the kids. So don't think you have a true reading on how much she is giving.

6. Brit.Tex

Brit.Tex New Member

Sondra, thanks for that reply again. I have normally milked in the morning and let the kids be with mom during the day too but it's been so chilly that I was thinking that perhaps they might need to be with her at night. Our temps are currently running from 18 - 26 degrees most mornings. Perhaps I'll do as goatkid suggested and just let her kids have the milk for now. (Though I may just try separating them and milking her in the morning once to see just how much she may have.

goatkid, thank you too - I reckon we'll keep her until next year since it seems that some folks have had the same sort of luck. She IS a beautiful little typey dairy doe - so perhaps it's her age. She's only ten months old now, NOT bred by my choice so young, as I said before.

Still hate those teats though... LOL!

She's a funny little thing - was never as friendly as her sister, though she's really GOOD on the stanchion. Considering I pull and strip for 20 minutes to get that half cup of milk, she never kicks or fusses about being milked. However, she has a buckling the same color as herself and her twin, while her doeling is white/cream like the sire. She doesn't seem to like the doeling much, tries to avoid letting her nurse, but doesn't act that way with the buck. We have, after milking, put her in her stall and given her alfalfa and ensured that the doeling gets a good suck, and yes, both DO seem to get milk because they don't complain. So I think she IS holding back milk too.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yep with it being this cold I would just let her be with the kids and forget milking her for now. then when it warms up go for it again. also go ahead and bring her in and on the milk stand for grain even if you don't milk her for a while or go ahead with what your doing and just get the cup for now. I agree they need to be with mom with it this cold unless you put sweat shirts on them and have good free from draft well bedded area for them

8. Good Goats

Good Goats New Member

Yep, go with what Sondra said. . . she's taken care of your questions ;).

Suriyah