A couple of meds I have on hand

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by laughter777, Jul 17, 2008.

1. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

A while back my neighbor had a boer buckling that momma died so she took him and his sister to raise. Sis died and he stayed really small. I always went over and petted and talked to him through the fence cuz he was so sweet and lovey! Needless to say she got his older brother and decided to keep him and let the little buck go, she called my huuby and told him she had a slaughter buyer. He told me she was selling him, told me how much. I said I am NOT paying that for a goat, then he said the slaughter buyer word and I paid that for a goat! I got him home and he had a cough. I spoke to a guy at the feedstore that has meat goats. He said I needed to vaccinate and worm him and probably give him penecillin. So he sold me some crappy pellet wormer for goats (I know now that its crappy) and Bar Vac CD/T (Clostridium Perfingens Types C &D - Tetanus Toxoid) and Pen Aqeous (Penecillin G Procaine Injectable Suspension)

Now is this Pen good, or should I get other to have on hand. Also I know there are lists of what to have on hand for general emergency and kidding, but I can't find it and my PC is so slow right now...crappy Sprint Air Card! Anyone wanna help me out and tell me whats in your medicine cabinet or link me to the lists I know I have seen and should have printed or atleast bookmarked, but didn't!!

Thanks in advance
    Sarah

2. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Look in goatkeeping 101.

Patty

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Also, you really need to be very careful buying goats. Boers are notorious out here for CL. You do not want this in your herd. And to what end do you want a boer buck you likely won't butcher?

Secondly is a kid that is deprived of good care, especially colostrum within 12 hours of birth is always going to be a hot house flower. Stunted and small and catches everything going.

You need to get a 3 ring binder, devide it into worming info, drug dosages, feeding management etc...and start printing out goatkeeping 101 also then add to it when a thread in this section gets good.

Keep on hand tetracycline, any 200 mg, I use biomycin instead of LA200 because LA200 has a sting carrier. As you get a relationship with a vet you will keep some vet antibiotics also.

Pennicillin is fine but you can't use it for much of anything anymore, mostly because folks used it for everything for so long.

I would watch him, they can have a cough from old scar tissue in their lungs, until there are more symptoms which include a fever, antibiotics won't help anyway. Vicki

4. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I don't have the buck anymore....I sold him before I got Lily.

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Oh good....sorry but good :) Vicki