911 injured doeling!update!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Corky, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Corky

Corky New Member

4 month doeling at least 70 lbs.

I came home this morning from a trip to the farmers market and found her on three legs and running away from everyone.

Don't know if the donkey stepped on her or she got snake bit or what.
    Left front leg is severly swollen from the hoof to just beloow the knee.
    She tries to lay down but gets right back up and is breathing very hard and moaning.

I put DMSO on it and then a little later Ice packs.

I can't reach the vet.
    What can I give her for the pain?
    I have bute tabs for the donkey. can I give her part of one of those for pain and swelling and should I give her a benadril tablet for possable snake bite even though I can't find any bite marks.

I have a doe getting ready to kid at any time.
    not in labor but on day 153 so I can't really leave either.
    HELP!

2. Corky

Corky New Member

Re: 911 injured doeling!

:blush I did not find her this morning I found her about an hour ago.

I am a little rattled as this is my best doeling!

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Get her out of the sun.
    Take some peroxide and slowly pour it down the leg and see if the bite marks fizz.

I have no idea how much bute you can give orally, perhaps that info is in goatkeeping101 in the saanendoah med threads?

Really feel of the leg, you can usually feel, even under swelling a break.

Banamine is of course what you should give her, both to help with the swelling but also to get her calmed down.

Put her leg in a bucket and icewater it. You can even put salt in it to get it really really cold. Vicki

4. Corky

Corky New Member

Vicki, Vet says snake bite.
    He bases that on how fast the swelling happened.
    I just gave her 1 cc banamine and Milt went for another shot. I forgot what it is.

I did ice packs but will do the ice water.
    I did DMSO and the vet said I done good!

Her foot is so swollen that the toes are spread way apart now.

I don't know how often I can do the DMSO though. I am going to concentrate on the ice bath now.

I will check back later. I am going to go do the peroxide think now too.

Thanks!

5. NubianSoaps.com

Well give her benedryl than. Give her 2 adult benedryl or double up the kids liquid if it all you have. Hopefully the vet is sending an antihistimine. Do not give her a steroid if you are guessing snake bite, if it is indeed a broken leg it will not mend. Vicki

6. Corky

Corky New Member

I thought about giving her that Vicki.
    instinct said any kind of bite give binadryl. I gave her the shot the vet sent. I sure hope it is the right stuff because I forgot to write down the name of it. He is a good vet and he knows it might be a broken bone so I don't think he would give anything that would stop it from healing.
    I sure hope not.

How long and how often should I be soaking the leg?

I soaked it for about 15 minutes. She fought like crazy at first and I finally had to drag her to the milk stand and lock her in there to do it.
    did I say that even though she is only about 4 and a half months old she weighs almost if not more than 70 lbs?
    70 lbs of fighting goat is hard to hang on to. She literally dragged me and she was just using three legs.

I did the peroxide thing and didn't see any bubbles anywhere.
    The swelling has gone up to the knee now.
    She is in a well padded stall but is just standing with her head pressed in a corner.

7. Corky

Corky New Member

Lets run through this one more time.

so far.

1cc banamine
    2cc something else (sorry) Some kind of anti venom I am sure.

DMSO rubbed on the foot and leg really well.(burns like mad I tell you!)
    ice packs and then a soak in a bucket of icewater... mostly ice. for 10 minutes.

do I need to call him to find out if he gave an antihistimine before giving the benadryl?

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yes call him. for that

9. NubianSoaps.com

Do you have banamine? Can you call and see what they gave her in the shot? There is an antixoin of some sort they can give you we gave it to GE, but you still want her on banamine and benedryl. Vicki

10. Corky

Corky New Member

Yes Vicki, I gave her banamine.
    It is storming really bad right now.
    I have benedryl tablets but I am afraid to go out in all this lightening.

It is about a block to the barn through an open field.

11. Corky

Corky New Member

I have another call in to the vet. Swelling is all the way up the leg now but less at the foot than it was due to the soaking.

I am going to have to switch to ice packs soon.

Am I going to loose her?

12. NubianSoaps.com

No. But if you dont' brave that storm and get the benedryl into her, the histimine level just keeps raising in the goat, if it swells to the thigh it can't go higher, it will start getting edema in it and if the skin burst you will have a real problem. We thought we were going to have to do a (well poop, can't remember what it is called when they cut the skin to relieve pressure) but then it is massive antibiotics and IV fluids emergency type time. Vicki

13. Corky

Corky New Member

OK, I did go give her the benadryl.
    Now her foot though it is twice as big as the other one is much smaller than it was.
    Her toes are back together.
    Her leg is swollen all the way up the leg but it is not really big. Just about double the other leg.
    She is now standing on the leg but the poor thing is simi concious at this point.

she is standing leaning on the wall just staring at the ground.
    I did not feed her her grain tonight as even though she was eating alfalfa pellets a little earlier she is so out of it right now that she doesn't care. Everything she has had pumped into her has kicked in.
    Bless her little heart!
    I can guess that the snake that bit her was a copperhead.
    I have not seen one this year but they are thick in this area.
    A kid that saw a snake would go right over to it. It is a wonder she did not get bit in the face instead of the foot.

14. Corky

Corky New Member

next question.

I was told to give her banamine every 6 hours. That would be at 11 pm next.

When do I give her more benadryl?

15. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Corky that poor baby, I'm so glad our poisenous snakes up here are few and far between, in fact they are endangered. I hope she pulls through and you get some sleep tonight.
    Sherrie

16. Corky

Corky New Member

I have to go back at 11 to give her more banamine.

I just came from giving her ice packs for about 15 minutes.
    She was just laying down with her leg stretched out so I just laid the gal ice bag on her leg and covered it with a towel and she just looked up at me and laid her head back down.
    I sat beside her for the full 15 minutes and then she decided to get up so I got her grain and put it out plus a feeder with alfalfa and left her while I checked on the other goat.
    She ate all her grain and started on the alfalfa and I pushed my luck by trying the ice pack again.
    She was tired of that game.
    I came back to the house to give her some peace.
    She has a big lump on the inside of her thigh. She is still very swollen but she stands on it. She still holds it up to walk though.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hope all is well this morning.

18. Corky

Corky New Member

:D
    I can't say all is well this morning but I can say all is much better this morning.

She is still swollen but not as bad and she is walking on it some now.

I put her on the milk stand after a major battle and fed her some grain that she just picked at but I think that was the botton of the bucket and mostly barley which she does not really like.
    I gave her more banamine and rubbed her leg down good with more DMSO.

Should I give her more benadryl?

We are thinking that when we saw her running three legged in the woods that it had just happened and that was why she was running.

19. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

Corky - I don't know what to tell you about the benedryl, except that if it were me I would be giving it until all swelling was gone. Right or wrong that is what i would do. I have been watching this thread and just want to say great job nursing this girl. You were very quick to respond, and that makes a huge difference - especially when you are fighting a toxin. Keep up the good work.

Anne

20. Corky

Corky New Member

:biggrin She walked to the meadow this morning!

She stood at the goat pen gate and bawled her head off first before following the herd.

That is because she had to go through the area where she was bit to catch up to them.

Milt and I got up early and went out and started weed whacking and we cleared out a wide area along the trail but she did not trust it and who could blame her?
    I didn't see her go but I am sure she went three legged as she can run fast that way and I am also sure that no grass grew under her feet getting across there. :lol

We have spent the intire morning cutting parilla. And yes, I know it is toxic. It has taken over the upper barnyard every year we have lived here but this year we have managed to keep it from going to seed at least.
    It makes a great place for snakes to hide though.
    The goats don't eat it and that is why it is taking over.
    Baby goats bite it off and then spit it out. They soon learn that it is yucky!
    We pull it around the barnyard and the outbuildings but we can't pull acres of the stuff.