7 1/2 week old buckling has liquid diarrea. HELP

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 1, 2008.

1. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

********************************************************************************
    Subject: Corid Treatment
    If you are going to use the corid, use it at the following rates and syringe it into each kid according to weight.
    Putting it in the water is useless. Mine won't even drink milk with it in it.

Treatment dose....use once a day for 5 days..no less.Use it full strength...no water! And yes, you're vet will throw a wall-eyed fit if you tell him how you used it! He will also tell you the "calf dose" which isn't anywhere near strong enough for goats. Been there, done that...didn't work! This dose is 5x's the calf dose and I just,today, did fecals on all my babies! Not one coccidia egg! They are 3mo. olds and Feb. babies. So, I can safely say the doses below work with fecals to back 'em up!

Doses below are 50mg/kg (2.2#)....recommended treatment levels for caprines.

6cc/25#
    12cc/50#
    18cc/75
    24/100#

You use your calculator to break it down to weights. My brain and eyes are fried!!
    Kaye
    ********************************************************************************

Okay...now I am really lost. :? Let me see if I've got this right. If I have a 50# kid then I should use 12cc straight Corid OR 12cc Corid solution? (Container says mix such and such an amount of Corid with such and such an amount of water THEN use however many CC's per body lb.)

:crazy I just don't understand. Sorry.

I have not weighed the kids again, but about six days ago the largest was 38.6lbs.

Can someone make this a little more clear to me. :??? Thanks.

???

2. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

It says use it full strength, no water. Goodness, I hope I did it right LOL.

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Oh, yes. I see that now. Yicks! I was giving each of them 1/2 fl oz of Corid/water solution. Now what? Do I start with the new dose and do that at the full 5 days or what? And how much. I'm not good with calculators and math and such.

What should I give for a 40 pounder, give or take? And a 30 pounder, give or take? Thanks. Boy...I'm glad I bought a gallon.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

9.6 cc for 40 lb kid so I go with 10cc or 9 1/2 and yes use this the 5 days

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

That is the straight stuff without adding anything. Not making a solution of it at all? I just need to make absolutely sure, before I give it. Thanks. :)

I will start with this dosage tomorrow. What about a 30 lb kid? Same dosage?

6. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

P.S. Okay I was just filling in my herd diary for the night and I caught myself! I wrote down the Corid dosage to give tomorrow as being 9.5 to 10 fl oz instead of cc. So...Taking that into consideration...is giving 1/2 fl oz solution okay? Or what? Sorry to be such a pest. I just want to get this down in my wacky mind straight so there are absolutely no mistakes.

I have been giving this fl oz dose with their evening feeding. Put it in their milk and they've had no problem with it.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

u do not use fluid oz with corid
    You use it straight from the bottle 9.6 cc per 40 lb.

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you. I understand now. I think the kids will drink it down if I add it to their evening milk bottle. I'll try it and see how it goes. The first day I tried to squirt it directly into the buckling's mouth. BIG mess. It did not work that way. I ended up having to give it in bottle form. They drank it readily. Hopefully they will again.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I put mine in the morning lambar when everyone is hungry. IF I do have to individually dose I use Kayes snow cone syrup idea, syringe up the corid and then fill the rest of the syringe with snow cone syrup...kero or pancake syrup works also. vicki

10. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Good idea! Thanks.

Even with the larger dose mixed with their evening milk, they drink it right down, so I think I'll stick with that. :) I don't have a lambar yet. I hope to by next year when the second batch of kids come. It will be much easier. (I think)

11. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

My little buck seems too aware of any changes in his milk. I mix it with black strap molasses.

12. I had calf manna in with the girlies feed and it gave them the poos. Already on cocci prevent, dewormed, excetra, took out the manna and now they are fine. Now they only get smashed alfalfa cubes with a dusting of grain. Sorry your guy has tummy problems. Tammy

13. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

UPDATE: He is back to normal now. Thanks everyone for all your help. :)

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

OH that is good!!

15. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

:biggrin I thought so too. I still don't know if it was cocci or the 2% milk feedings that he got that day and a half. Oh well. Glad I took care of both. :)

Thanks for all your help everyone.