7 1/2 week old buckling has liquid diarrea. HELP

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Shykid Acres, May 1, 2008.

1. BTW- The 2% will give them the runs really bad. My mom got 2% for Milo by accident and I gave him two bottles with it and he had the runs really bad so I switched him back ASAP.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

how much does this kid weigh??

3. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

It wasn't his mom.

4. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Last time I weighed him on 4-25-08 he was 38.6lbs

I just got back from the store. Got corid, they only had the gallon jug. Grrr. I only have 5 goats not 500. Oh well. I'll have to read up on expiration dates with that one.

I gave all 3 bottle kids their first "treatment" dose of Corid this evening.
    I gave CD&T to all 3 kids on 4-17-08. They are not due for their second dose yet. Should I give it now or wait?

5. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

And when I saw him hunched up a little I only assumed it was his tummy that hurt. He ate his evening bottle with vigor and played a little. Still looks like he's a little hunched when I fed him the Corid.

Should I give 2nd dose of CD&T now or when it is due next thursday?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

you give CD/T when due
    I was talking abt CD ANTITOXIN which is not the same thing it is for entro. and is something you MUST keep on hand. Even if you never ever use it. When you need it you need it yesterday not tomorrow. As for your corid if you want to sell some off and mail it then pm me otherwise keep it in the refrigerator and it will last for 3yrs

7. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Kimberly, sondra is right-I bet you can sell some of that Corid to help with the cost. You should post in the for sale forum and try to sell it by the pint or quart. I bet someone would take you up on it. Good luck with your little guy, hopefully it was just the change in milk!

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

He does not look nearly as hunched anymore, maybe the slightest hint of being hunched IF that. I also got Injectable B complex, but have not used it yet. Should I? I don't want to OD him on everything.

I think it was just a milk change. We shall see.

Thank you Sondra for the info.

BTW how is CD Toxoid and CD Antitoxin different? I am confused.

9. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

p.s. We now have whole milk. Thanks all.

10. goatkid

goatkid New Member

When I've had kids with scours, I treat with liquid sulfa and something called Diarsanyl. If you're using Corid instead of sulfa, you can still give the diarsanyl. That stops the runs. Kathie

11. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thanks Kathy. I am hoping he will be better in the morning. Time will tell.

12. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Well, he looks better this morning. Yeah! He was munching down on his hay when I left him. :) Thank you all for your help and advice. I greatly appreciate it.

13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I have a question if that's ok. Why does the 2 percent cause scours? I would think it wouldn't be as good, since it's got less fat, but wouldn't have thought it would cause such troubles!

Once when I was raising a baby deer I had to feed it skim a couple times because I didn't have the whole. Poor guy! But he didn't get sick from it.

14. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

That is a VERY good question. Wish I had the answer. I hope someone that knows will give one. I wonder too. Maybe it has something to do with not enough fat content and it messes up their tummies somehow. ???

15. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Kimberly what dosage of the corid did you give your kid? Vicki

16. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

There is a big difference between antitoxin and the actual vaccine. The vaccine contains killed bacteria or modified bacteria which can't cause disease but make the kid produce his own immunity to the bacteria. So if the bacteria try to make him sick...he's already immune. It can take about 2 weeks for the kid to develop antibodies that make him immune. Antitoxin is a "quick fix" for when you need immunity NOW not in 2 weeks. It basically gives him antibodies from another goat to fight disease, but he won't make his own antibodies. It gives almost immediate immunity but lasts for only 2 weeks or so.

17. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

By following the directions on the bottle I came to the conclusion that a 40lb kid (or thereabouts) should receive 1/2 fluid ounce of the mixed solution.

Is this correct? It was saying that for the "treatment" dose you should use 1oz per 100lbs body weight. Am I giving them too much?

18. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Check Goat 101..the dosage is different for goats then for calves which is what you are doing.

19. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Thank you. I will look at that right now.